- Performs routine and special histological procedures on patient specimens.
- Prepares sides of surgical tissues for pathological diagnoses.
- Embeds, sections, accurately labels and processes tissue sections in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
- May assist pathologist in gross dissection.
- Performs frozen sectioning procedures.
- Operates, calibrates, check, and maintains instrumentation.
- May provide assistance with cytology processing.
- Adheres to all departmental policies and procedures.
- Other duties as applicable.
- Set Appropriate example in the achievement of the above mentioned standards.
- Work in a variety of situations.
- May work alone or in various groups on any shift on any day of the week under direct supervision of the Anatomical Pathology Supervisor.
- Effectively operate laboratory equipment, unassisted.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Possess a great work ethic.
- Must be able to handle the stress of working efficiently with frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to multi-task.
- Possess strong communication skills.
Education and Experience
- HT/HTL ASCP certification/eligible preferred
- Minimum of Associates with 24 combined semester hours of chemistry, biology, and science required.
- Previous grossing of small specimens required.
- Sitting, standing, and walking 3-6 hours per day.
- Repetitive motions due to embedding and microtomy 3-6 hours per day.
- Occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Close eye work (small fragments of tissue).
- Daily exposure to Bloodborne pathogens, biohazardous material, and body fluids.