Job Title: Director of Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Executive Director
Department: Marketing & Communications
Supervisory Responsibilities: Direct Reports: Senior Marketing and Communications Manager and Interns (2)
Budget Responsibilities: Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Advertising
Classification: Full time, Exempt
Location: Home office, 100% virtual. This is a nationwide search but priority will be given to candidates in the following states - Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia.
Applications: Applications are being accepted until July 15, 2022. The review of applications will be on a rolling basis.
Compensation: $85,000 - $95,000 annual salary
Benefits: Generous benefits package including but not limited to: health, dental, and vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending account, life insurance, 401(k), paid holidays, paid vacation, and paid sick time, home office allowance, wellness benefits.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Marketing & Communications is responsible for the overall marketing and communication of AASHE’s membership, programs, events, organizational communications, public relations, branding strategies and tactics, and related projects. The position is also responsible for revenue generation from advertisers.
The Director of Marketing & Communication also serves as a member of the Director’s Team, a collaborative group that provides support to the Executive Director and is responsible for the implementation of the strategic plan.
- Defines strategic communications goals and develops the marketing strategy in conjunction with all stakeholders and contributors to achieve these goals.
- Guides editorial direction, design, production, and distribution of external communications.
- Provides leadership in the design of AASHE’s website in collaboration with relevant staff.
- Develops digital and traditional marketing campaigns across multiple platforms and directs the implementation of a social media strategy.
- Develops strategies for promoting AASHE programs/products (e.g., STARS, educational programs) in collaboration with relevant staff and oversees the implementation of these strategies.
- Creates and executes a strategy for growing AASHE’s reach through various approaches including developing thought-leadership pieces.
- Develops targeted messaging to promote the value of sustainability in higher education.
- Creates and executes a strategy for advertising sales.
- Provides leadership, direction, and supervision to the Marketing & Communications department through ongoing management of individual performance and mentoring.
- Builds effective collaborations with key departments at AASHE, including Programs, IT, Finance & Operations.
- Develops department budget and related assumptions to achieve annual revenue goals.
- Performs other work as required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- BS/BA Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least seven years experience in designing and executing marketing and/or membership campaigns using online tools, email, and all major social media channels
- At least seven years of progressively responsible experience with sales, marketing, media, communications activities, ideally in non-profit and/or sustainability-related settings
- At least five years’ experience managing, planning, and budgeting for a marketing/sales/outreach department that includes two or more professional staff members
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of a large variety of marketing, membership development skills and strategies (marketing mix)
- Ability to plan and implement initiatives strategically and maintain the integrity of the brand
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to effectively, tactfully and diplomatically communicate to all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated skill in communicating with individuals outside of the organization and in persuading decision-makers
- Excellent customer relationship and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to set priorities and adapt to changing priorities, meet multiple deadlines in fast-paced environment
- Ability to think strategically and perform tactically
- Analytical and critical decision-making skills
- Collaborative, team builder, comfortable with facilitation
- Accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Project management skills
- A broad understanding of and commitment to sustainability
- A broad understanding of and commitment to advancing racial equity and social justice
- Personal Computer literacy skills (Microsoft’s Office Suite of Products: Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook or Apple or Google equivalents) computer applications and Internet sharing and conferencing applications (Skype, WebEx, Google Drive, etc.)
- Able to manage and maintain a fully functioning professional home office