WHO WE ARE
For over 50 years, CCLS has been representing and advocating for low-income individuals in Merced, Tuolumne, Mariposa, Fresno, Tulare, and Kings Counties—a region where intense poverty exists side by side with unparalleled wealth and abundance. Our mission is to provide high quality, no-cost civil legal services to low income individuals, families, and communities—improving the wellbeing of our Valley through systems-changing advocacy, client education, and legal work that meets individual clients’ immediate needs. We also work closely with agencies and community organizations that share our commitment to support our clients in being their own agents of change.
In addition to the main CCLS service areas, the Health Consumer Center also serves individuals in the counties of San Luis Obispo, Madera, Stanislaus, San Benito, and Monterey.
Under supervision of the Health Consumer Center supervising attorney, the legal secretary will provide support to an attorney, paralegals, and an outreach worker focusing on a variety of legal issues related to healthcare access, systems and agencies.
Position: Legal Secretary
Experience: 2+ Years Experience
Location: Fresno Office
Term of Employment: Regular, Full Time
Other: FLSA Non-Exempt, Union Position
Salary Range: $15.64 - $26.14 per hour
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
Applications should be received by JUNE 28, 2022 to be considered for the first round of interviews.
CCLS is an equal opportunity employer: we value equity, inclusion, and diversity, across all races, cultures, classes, ages, religions, gender identities and presentations, sexual orientations, body sizes, family structures, abilities, and all categories protected by law. We encourage all interested individuals to apply. CCLS is subject to a Collective Bargaining Agreement.
2. Cover Letter addressing the following questions:
- a. Please tell us briefly about your experience, if any, working with a low-income community. What skills and qualities did you bring that were important to the effort? What did you learn?
- b. Please describe your experience related to this position.
- c. Tell us about your connection to the Central Valley: how well do you know it? Do you have ties here? What draws you here?
- d. Do you have particular interest in working at Legal Aid? If so, please tell us about that.
3. Three Professional References
- Take and transcribe a variety of legal correspondence, petitions, pleadings, motions and interrogatories;
- Type and review outgoing correspondence to insure all legal documents and enclosures are in proper processing order and that correspondence is grammatically correct;
- Type correspondence for signature of attorney, checking accuracy of grammar, as well as independently composing general correspondence;
- File documents with the court;
- Maintain follow-up records relating to legal matters in process and ensure that legal requirements and deadlines are met;
- Perform a variety of responsible secretarial duties such as setting up and/or maintaining filing systems and appointment calendars, answering inquiries over the phone or in person, and managing secretarial and administrative details with minimum direction;
- Operate a variety of office machines;
- Assist attorneys or legal staff with translating for monolingual Spanish speaking client in attorney-client interviews and correspondence;
- Accompany attorneys or legal staff on client home visits for translation and/or general assistance;
- Provide support in short term legal projects, including, but not limited to trial preparation tasks;
- Assist with library maintenance;
- Willingness to participate in community outreach, as needed;
- Perform other law office duties as assigned.
- Two years prior secretarial experience or equivalent experience, preferred;
- Bilingual ability strongly preferred (Hmong/English or Spanish/English);
- Ability to type at least 60 words per minute;
- Experience in operating office equipment;
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; highly organized and effective in a fast-paced environment; ability to maintain confidentiality of consumers and organization;
- Ability to communicate effectively with people with communication barriers including those who are stressed or confused, those who suffer from physical or mental disabilities or those for whom English is a second language;
- Experience working with low-income clients, collaborating effectively with diverse groups of individuals and organizations, and connecting and strategizing with local community leaders;
- Previous Legal Aid or other non-profit legal services experience desirable;
- Ability to work well with others and to deal with the public in a courteous manner.
- Working knowledge of computer software including word processing, spread sheets and data bases, as well as accessing the internet and communicating by email.
- Comfortable working under pressure, on a team or independently, passionate about the work, inquisitive, and analytical;
- Commitment to the rights and empowerment of clients;
- Ability to travel as needed and proof of liability and property insurance on vehicle used.
CCLS MANDATORY VACCINATION POLICY
Please note that CCLS currently requires all staff to be fully vaccinated and to have at least one booster (if eligible). Medical and religious exemptions to this requirement are also available.
CCLS BENEFITS PACKAGE OVERVIEW:
· 7.5 hour work day / 37.5 hour week
· 14.5 Paid Holidays
· Free wellness counseling & resources
· Union protection for applicable positions
Rewards for Dedication
· Annual pay increases
· Overtime for Hourly/Non-exempt staff
· Compensatory Time for Salaried/Exempt staff
More than Base Pay
· School Loan Assistance up to $500/month
· Bilingual Pay up to $90/month
· Home internet reimbursement of $25/month
· CCLS issued laptop & cell phone
· CA State Bar dues paid in full
· Mileage reimbursement
· CCLS contributes to staff 403(b) plans starting at the one-year anniversary:
o Year 1 to 2 – 1% of salary contributed
o Year 2 to 3 – 2% of salary contributed
o Year 3 to 4 – 3% of salary contributed
o Year 4 to 5 – 4% of salary contributed
o Year 5+ - 5% of salary contributed
Group Health Insurance
· Coverage begins 1st of the month following hire date
· CCLS pays 100% for staff health insurance coverage
· CCLS pays 67% of staff dependent health insurance coverage
· Low-Cost Plans for:
o Dental PPO & Vision Insurance
o Long term disability & life insurance
o Workers Compensation coverage
Cash Out Options
· Vacation Cash Out:
o Accrued vacation cashed out & added to paycheck upon request
· Compensatory Time Cash Out (Exempt Staff):
o Accrued comp time cashed out & added to paycheck upon request
· Comp time over 75 hours paid out automatically
· Overtime Pay Out (Non-Exempt Staff):
o OT paid out within 30 days of accrual, per State standards
Computer Loan Fund
· Up to $1,500 interest free loan to assist staff with personal computer purchase
State Bar Exam Leave & Loan
· Protected leave for CA Bar Exam
· Interest-free loan for Bar Exam & study course fees
· Up to 8 weeks salary advance