WHO WE ARE
At Lighting Environments, we believe in creating atmospheres where people and ideas can grow. We are a lighting representative agency with a passion for design and nearly 50 years of serving DC, Maryland, and Virginia markets. We specialize in lighting and lighting controls solutions for projects ranging from commercial to residential, retail to industrial, and everything in between.
Together with our sister company Environments, an IoT integration company, we create beautiful, functional environments where humans and technology work in unison. We envision a world where technology seamlessly enriches lives.
ABOUT THE ROLE
A company is nothing without its employees. And company culture is our personality – It’s the wonderfully unique combination of all of our employees’ characteristics, qualities, and mindsets that form our distinctive character as an employer. Our culture guides our interactions with one another and impacts us beyond our jobs.
As an individual contributor at Lighting Environments, you bear a critical responsibility in shaping our company culture and creating a positive working experience for those around you. Working at LE could be the greatest professional experience of your life… but it takes all of us to make this reality. This includes:
- Get to know one another! We don’t expect you to find your new best friend, but you will discover common ground that will make working together with colleagues easier and more enjoyable. Introduce yourself, welcome new faces, and be thoughtful to include others where possible.
Having courageous conversations
- At LE, we believe open communication, combined with mutual respect, can solve the majority of any issues we may encounter. As a first step in solving issues, we promote speaking to the other party directly to voice your thoughts calmly and respectfully or to clarify misunderstandings… regardless of the other party’s title or tenure. If this first attempt proves unsuccessful, management and HR can be involved to assist you. Note: This does not include any concerns with major violations of policy. Those should be directed to HR immediately.
Building one another up
- Encouragement and peer-to-peer recognition of effort, progress, or milestone successes can go a long way. In fact, a few simple words can change someone’s day. However, building up others also includes providing honest feedback. If you see something that could be approached differently or in an easier manner, share your suggestions and insight. As a team, you’re only as strong as your weakest link. So, take time to teach, help others improve, and share lessons learned from your own mistakes.
And most importantly, remember that we’re all human!
- Mistakes will happen. A mistake is defined as an action or judgement that is misguided or incorrect. A mistake is not repeating the same actions over and over, resulting in the same errors (that’s insanity!) or egregious acts of misconduct.
- When a mistake happens, here’s what you do… Own up to it! Communicate to those impacted by an error and seek help when needed to mitigate any negative effects. And then we move on. The important part is what you learn from mistakes and what you can share of your lessons learned to prevent reoccurrence in the future. We’re all a work in progress around here, and that’s okay.
- Life will happen. Here at LE, we’re all doing our best to make our work lives enjoyable and productive. We want to do our part and see our Company succeed. However, sometimes real life can create some challenges. Be understanding and adapt where possible.
MORE SPECIFICALLY, WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Distribution Sales Associate focuses on distributor lighting sales by establishing and developing relationships with manufacturers, electrical contractors, distributors, and other clients in the Virginia market.
A day in the life of a Distribution Sales Associate may include the following:
- Building relationships, through excellent customer service and meeting agreed upon response times, with electrical distributors and contractors in the assigned territory
- Proactively servicing clients’ ongoing lighting needs, developing a needs/wants-based understanding of each customer’s business requirements
- Maintaining orderly paper job files and/or digital customer database
- Making regularly scheduled visits or virtual meetings with distributors and sales personnel to assist with writing orders, conducting product training, taking inventory, handling problems, assisting with quotations, and/or attending counter days
- Gathering accurate market intelligence to provide value-added solutions from a technical perspective
- Identifying and analyzing business opportunities to increase sales with the end goal to specify and close jobs
- In conjunction with the Quotes Department, negotiating and closing commercial projects with electrical contractors and distributors
- Seeking stock opportunities with applicable manufacturers
- Attending product demonstrations and other product launches or information sessions to stay abreast of the latest industry developments, trends, and technology
- And last, but not least, everyone is expected to step up and help when needed. So, you can plan on performing other duties as assigned.
WHAT MAKES YOU GREAT FOR THIS ROLE
- You are motivated and driven with high-energy and a positive attitude. You’re ready to take on the world! Well… at least the world within your work.
- You enjoy solving problems. You love taking on difficult challenges and creating solutions. And if you don’t know the answer, you’ll dig until you find one.
- You use an intellectual arsenal of logical, business-minded thinking to determine next steps, actions, and plans.
- You tend to have a competitive drive, never losing sight of the end game and always have a target you’re trying to achieve. You may be prone to maintaining a to-do list and absolutely love to check off completed tasks.
- You have the power of persuasion. You articulate your thoughts logically and in a way that others pick up what you’re putting down. Wait a second…Did I write that, or did you just convince me?
- You love to wheel and deal, giving and taking until you’ve reached a mutually satisfying solution.
- You like helping people out! Whether it’s an internal or external customer, you take pride in the relationship you’ve cultivated and meeting their needs.
- Your wheels are always turning. You enjoy collecting information and evaluating it from different angles to identify trends and draw a conclusion.
- You pay attention to the details…all of them. No dot-less i’s or cross-less t’s get past you.
- You use language skills like a multitool; absorbing and dispersing information, articulating thoughts, and exchanging ideas through both written and verbal forms. You listen actively, write concisely, and speak clearly.
- You are patient, level-headed, and cool under pressure. When things change, it’s no biggie. You just roll with the punches and reprioritize.
- You are honest with yourself and receive feedback to know what areas you wish to improve. You enjoy pushing yourself to learn something new, whether in a structured, formal setting or exposure in day-to-day activities. You never miss a chance to grow.
WHERE & HOW YOU’LL WORK
As a member of our sales team, you can expect a combination of days spent working remotely from home, in the Richmond office, and on the road to varying client locations or events within your assigned territory in the VA area.
At Lighting Environments and Environments, we offer various competitive benefit programs to our employees.
- Competitive Salaries
- Incentive Programs
- Comprehensive Health Coverage (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Wellness Program & Well-Being Support
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement and Savings Plan
- Work Flexibility
- Paid Leave and Holidays
- Maternity Leave
- Employee Recognition
- Personal Development
TECHNICALLY SPEAKING, YOU HAVE
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- At least 3-5 years of experience in outside lighting sales
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and enterprise resource planning (ERP) software
- Must be comfortable with in-person customer responsibilities and substantial travel (Role is best suited for a road warrior!) Note: Your driving record may be subject to review.
BONUS POINTS FOR HAVING
- An associate degree in Science, Arts and/or Business Administration
- 3-5 years of experience in outside lighting sales in the Virginia market
- Experience using Oasis ERP system
- 3+ years of experience in closing and servicing orders
- 3+ years of experience in project quotations
Sound like you?
"Light rarely comes to those who merely sit in darkness, waiting for someone to flip a switch."
Flip the switch and apply today!