Come Smile with Us!
Delta Dental of Iowa invites applications for Software Developer III - Web/Java to be responsible for oversight of the implementation, ongoing maintenance, and documentation of Delta Dental’s Java-based web environment. You will include ensure data integrity in applications between source systems and work with the business to create user information solutions by developing, implementing, and maintaining internet/intranet applications focused on the front-end environment, including the functional and technical analysis, design, programming, testing and maintenance of the company's web-based software products and internally developed support systems. This is an opportunity to work closely with a highly skilled tight-knit team on the implementation of new product initiatives.
Why Delta Dental? We provide dental and vision insurance to more than 1.5 million Iowans. As a not-for-profit insurance company, our mission is to improve the health and smiles of the people we serve. We give back to Iowa communities by investing in health and wellness initiatives that make a measurable difference in the overall health of Iowans. Come see why we are passionate about "Bringing Smiles" to our customers. Our team enjoys competitive pay and benefits, an awesome "One Team" approach, and a company culture that fosters "Exceptional Quality Service" and "Leadership at All Levels." Love where you work!
Essential Functions and Principal Accountabilities:
- Develop and Maintain new and existing applications.
- With limited guidance, create and maintain moderately complex applications for the benefit of internal and external customers.
- Assist in the development of technical application design documents on complex projects. May develop technical design documents for moderately complex projects as assigned by project manager.
- With limited guidance, provide unit testing of all coding changes with the goal of providing a stable production environment. May provide independent unit testing for moderately complex projects.
- Develop appropriate requirements, scope, and estimates
- Communicate consistently and effectively with internal and external business partners to understand requirements
- Assist project team members in developing scope documents for complex projects. May independently provide initial scope documents for moderately complex projects.
- Assist project team members in the development of project estimates. May develop estimates independently for moderately complex projects.
- Fulfill roles and responsibilities of project team member; manage projects as assigned
- As a team member, ensure appropriate requirements, scope and estimates are completed in timely manner as assigned by project manager. May act as project manager on moderate to complex projects as assigned.
- Understand impact of project on both business and technology infrastructure
- Communicate status of assigned tasks to project manager. As project manager on moderate to complex projects, communicate status to project sponsor and resource manager as appropriate.
- Track hours and report to project manager. As project manager on moderate to complex projects, track hours and report to project sponsor or resource manager as appropriate.
- Fulfill roles and responsibilities of project manager on moderate to complex projects as assigned.
- Build strong internal and external partnerships
- Develop working relationships with internal and external business partners.
- Develop knowledge of internal and external business.
- Build trust with our partners in our knowledge and delivery of technology.
- Communicate effectively to other project team members, internal business partners, and external clients as required.
- Develop new skills, explore new technologies, and make recommendations as appropriate.
- Work with manager to identify a focus for learning including:
- Research evolving system architecture best practices for web environments
- New application development languages or techniques
- Researching how new products might be developed through emerging technology
- Project management methodologies and tools
- Utilize new knowledge and skill to enhance the application development process
- Provide on-call support when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or related degree
- 6+ years of experience in application development, or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or working experience.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL and database design principles using Oracle.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with code development tools: GIT/STASH/BAMBOO/JIRA.
- Experience with Apache Tomcat preferred.
- Experience working in a front-end environment.
- Experience creating and integrating web service API’s.
- Hands-on experience building within the Spring Framework.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task responsibilities and to manage workloads to established deadlines.
- Ability to organize, analyze and solve complex problems with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experienced in handling information in a confidential manner and maintain compliance with policies and federal/state laws.
- Strong ability to communicate both verbally and in writing with all levels of staff, customers, and providers.
Delta Dental of Iowa is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons without unlawful regard of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, individuals with disabilities, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.