The Manager, Total Rewards will manage the benefits and compensation programs across the federation. Ultimately, this position is responsible for developing and administering employee benefits programs for the Federation across all levels, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, voluntary benefits, all retirement plans, and employee wellness initiatives. This position audits all data and ensures compliance with all CBAs, NGB regulations and federal, state, local laws. This position will work closely with the Director, People & Culture and the CPDO on ensuring consistency and equity in the compensation program and developing total rewards statements to educate employees.
- Assist in the design, implementation and monitoring of compensation initiatives (e.g., salary ranges, salary increases, discretionary and non-discretionary awards) to ensure that compensation practices are linked to overall strategy to attract, reward and retain the right talent.
- Seek and present competitive market research and other benchmarking to help establish pay practices and pay bands that help to recruit and retain top talent.
- Develop total rewards statements annually to assist employees in understanding their total benefits and compensation package.
- Maintain knowledge of compensation and benefits laws and regulations
- Maintain basic knowledge of ERISA, FMLA, and HIPAA
- Daily administration of the Federation Health and Welfare and Retirement plans, including processing of new hires, qualifying life events, and terminations/COBRA in the Human Resources Information System (HRIS) in coordination with HR staff.
- Obtain and file required employee documentation in compliance with plan documents and department procedures.
- Reconcile for approval the monthly Health and Welfare invoices by allocating insurance payments to correct cost centers for payment and ensuring accurate and timely data in both the HRIS and benefit vendor databases.
- Process and administer 401(k) enrollments, changes, loans, and withdrawals, ensuring accurate and timely processing in accordance with plan documents.
- Maintain, evaluate, and make recommendations to Director, People & Culture and CPDO regarding employee benefits programs by studying and assessing benefit needs and trends.
- Conduct educational programs and meetings to assist employees in understanding their benefits.
- In coordination with the Director, People & Culture, ensure accuracy of weekly/bi-weekly/semi-monthly benefit vendor export files.
- Respond to all benefit legal requests such as Qualified Domestic Relations Orders.
- Manage the Open Enrollment process including assessing benefit needs and trends, scheduling of vendors and employee meetings, configuring HRIS Open Enrollment module, and auditing enrollment data.
- Assist with account analysis, bidding and securing rates, and plan recommendations to Management.
- Administer all leaves of absence in compliance with federal, state, and local law, and company policy including employee education regarding leave options, ensuring all paperwork is completed timely and accurately, designating leaves compliantly, and auditing pay replacement and benefits continuation during leaves.
- Daily correspondence with employees regarding Health and Welfare and Retirement plans and leaves of absence options including plan design options, escalating employee billing issues, annual education and training to employees and managers to support excellent customer service.
- Work with Director, People & Culture to complete 401(k) audits for submission of Form 5500 and any subsequent notice mailings.
- Manage and audit paid time off annually in collaboration with Payroll.
- Manage online portal for employee benefits self-service options, ensuring documents and reference tools are accurate on the site.
- Prepare reports for required annual reporting notices.
- Maintain HRIS records and compile reports from database.
- Ensure compliance with and communication of all benefit plans to management and employees.
- Create accurate and timely collection of data resulting in accurate notification of benefits eligibility, coverage, and reporting as required by federal, state, and local law and organization policies.
- Develop, maintain, and expand employee wellness initiatives by creating and improving upon wellness ideas and increasing communication to improve overall employee health and to impact claims and premium costs for the Federation benefits plans. Duties include facilitating periodic lunch-n-learns, and coordinating any annual employee benefits health fairs to promote all benefits programs and increase understanding.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or related field; or combination of years of experience and education.
- 5 – 8 years of progressive HR experience as a generalist or in two or more people functions (e.g., human resources, organizational development, compensation, talent acquisition, etc.)
- At least 2+ years of benefit administration experience
- 1-3 years’ experience with HRIS, including a benefits module
- 1-2 years’ experience working with benefits brokers and management
- Knowledge of local, state and federal employment law and regulations
- Highly organized with a record of prioritizing multiple projects and meeting deadlines
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality and emotional maturity
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as job duties demand
- Detail oriented, problem solver, analytical approach to data organization
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel
- Ability to understand internal processes as they relate to onboarding, new hires, benefit plans and administering human resources programs and systems.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Excellent communication skills (interpersonal, verbal, written, presentation)
- Ability to build and maintain professional relationships with benefits brokers and management
- Ability to analyze benefit plans and costs
- 5+ years’ experience in human resources, preferably as a generalist
- 3-5 years’ experience managing data in HRIS, including experience administering plans via a benefits module
- 5+ years’ experience in benefits administration
- 3+ years working with benefits brokers and executive management
- 3+ years’ experience developing and administering wellness initiatives
- Familiarity with managing plans in the sports industry
- Strong knowledge of retirement plans, in a non-profit and/or sports environment a plus
- Demonstrates analytical expertise and is results-focused with strong attention to detail
- Engages with diplomacy and tact with people of all levels, functions, and cultures
- Possesses flexibility to change focus and adjust quickly as demands change
- Identifies and creates efficient processes that allow managing from a distance
- A wordsmith who can distill complex thoughts or ideas into simple, clear language
- Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS), a plus
- Multi-lingual fluency, verbal and written, preferred
- U.S. Soccer has mandated the Covid-19 vaccine and is requiring all staff to be fully vaccinated at the start of employment