Tool Room Manager is responsible for the design, repair, and maintenance of all tooling/fixtures/jigs both company and customer owned. Act as a subject matter expert in helping troubleshoot tooling issues and collects/analyzes relevant data to identify reliability improvement opportunities. Maintains tooling data and institutes Predictive Maintenance Programs to ensure optimal tooling longevity and capability. Dig for root causes and look for patterns, convert ideas into actions and produce results with new initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a positive relationship with plant management, supervisors, and hourly employees
- Participate, support, and comply with all health, safety, quality, and Lean initiatives
- Enthusiastically provide support to plant management, supervisors, and machine operators in their continuous improvement initiatives
- Help to identify and train backup
- Directly supervise a skilled hourly workforce of toolmakers, model makers, and tool grinders (approximately 8-15) employees, ensuring compliance with safety, health, and environmental policies and obligations.
- Use CAM systems to develop CNC machining programs for Horizontal Machining Centers (HMC), Vertical Machining Center (VMC), Wire EDM machines and CNC Lathes.
- Use Creo/AutoCad to design/create, update, and modify fixture and tooling prints.
- Provide specialist technical advice and support on all aspects of tool design, manufacturing, and reconditioning.
- Support production and engineering with tooling/technical problem-solving.
- Maximize the use of the database maintenance software for tracking all tools, implementing a planned schedule of maintenance and repair activity to ensure a computerized log is kept on faults and service history of tools.
- Perform root cause analysis and resolve problems.
- Provide appropriate training of staff so they remain abreast of current technology and equipment.
- Compose and manage purchase orders, invoices, and appropriation requests.
- Supervise, coach, and develop high-performing employees that meet agreed objectives and deliver best practice results, added value, and continuous improvements.
- Provide technical expertise to the team.
- Consistently promote high standards through personal example and roll out through the team so that each member of the team understands the standards and behaviors expected of them.
Education & Experience:
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Ability to manage a variety of projects/tasks
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills
- Competent in problem-solving, team building, planning, and decision making
- Understanding of manufacturing and procurement/supply chain
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Bachelor of Science in Manufacturing Engineering or Industrial Engineering from an accredited college or university; or five years or more (5 ) of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Background in machining steel, cast iron, and aluminum materials using CNC Horizontal, Vertical, or Turning centers
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operation, and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations
- Experience with Creo/AutoCad or similar software to design/create, modify, and document model/drawing changes
- Legal authorization to work in the United States - Sponsorship will not be provided for this role.