About Us: For 50 years, Hydro-Chem Systems has been engineering and manufacturing best-in-class detergents, soaps, and cleaning solutions for heavy fleet vehicles. We are proudly 100% employee owned, and our culture of co-ownership drives us to hold each other accountable and chase perfection as we continue to grow.
The Role: We are hiring for a new member of our Chemical Department. This seat is primarily focused on mixing, blending, and packaging our line of heavy-vehicle detergents and cleaning products. There may be an opportunity to train and serve as a back-up driver (Box truck, CDL B) in the future if desired.
What We Offer: We are an employee-owned business that has been voted “Company of the Year” twice within the last five years by the Michigan ESOP Association. We are committed to a culture of accountability, integrity, and excellence. We offer first shift + no weekends. Our base pay and benefits are competitive, our PTO offering is excellent, and in addition to our 401(k) (with match!), every employee participates in our ESOP program and tangibly shares in our success and growth.
The Details: Our Blenders are a critical part of our success as a company! Blenders retrieve raw materials using a forklift, prepare ingredients, blend, and package our products while ensuring a clean and safe working environment:
- Accurately following batch instructions for blending products
- Accurately document batch records.
- Conduct 5S audits and participate in LEAN initiatives
- Package finished product and assist in staging for outbound shipping
- Verify load sheets, orders, and delivery paperwork before product leaves the building
- Assist in maintaining and auditing raw material and finished product inventory
- Wash drums and containers for re-use
What You Bring: Successful candidates in this role are safety conscious, reliable, attentive to detail, and comfortable working with basic math. This role is suited to those who prefer knowing exactly what is required and working without ambiguity. Some background in manufacturing and industrial processes are preferred, previous blending and forklift experience are a plus. A high school diploma or GED is required for this position.
Physical Requirements: This position requires standing for long periods of time and frequently lifting up to 70 pounds. We frequently handle chemicals that require PPE, and occasionally require full face respirators. A full list of physical requirements is included in the application.
Minimum GED required. Must be able to pass basic math and mechanical aptitude test.
Technical Experience: Industrial batchmaking/mixing preferred, forklift experience preferred.
Industry Experience: Previous delivery experience and 1 or more years’ experience in a manufacturing industry.
- Driving for extended periods of time.
- Standing for long periods of time.
- Handling chemicals
- Wearing a full-face Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR) breathing apparatus for extended periods of time
- Working in/with Interior atmospheric conditions (e.g., fumes, vapors, orders, mists, and limited ventilation)
- Extended hours away from main location of business
- Heavy, but infrequent lifting up to 75 pounds.
- Lifting- raising, lowering, or moving objects.
- Push and pulling up to 600 lbs., using 2-wheel drum cart.
- Climbing in and out of delivery truck, frequently
Attention to Detail: Achieves thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task.
Interpersonal Skills: Socially capable, interacts confidently, reads the situation. Empathetic and can evaluate likely reactions, both verbal and non-verbal.
Quality of Work: Sets and maintains high goals and standards for self while understanding and conforming to team standards; achieves a volume of acceptable work within allotted time; work produced achieves established standards for thoroughness, accuracy, neatness, and acceptability
Follow Directions: Able to complete verbal and written directions.
HCS Operating systems principles and objectives (this competency appears in all job descriptions): Knows all HCS established operating systems (e.g., quality, safety, environmental). Understands the responsibility to maintain familiarity of the systems and this position’s role in support of these systems - including a consideration of the impact of individual actions on the systems and the responsibility to communicate concerns and improvement ideas.