American Farmland Trust is the only national organization that takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land itself, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres, and helped thousands of farm families make a go of it (primarily through programs that increase farm viability and/or enhance farmland access). Long a pioneering leader, AFT is now riding a new wave of growth, driven by agriculture’s most pressing needs and opportunities.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are inclusive. We embrace differences. We recognize and respect the fundamental value and dignity of all our employees. We celebrate the unique traditions, heritages, and experiences our employees bring to the workplace. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive culture that promotes and values diversity, and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, expression or identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Working with the Director of Annual Giving, the Member Relations Coordinator will help build AFT’s retail membership program in partnership with AFT’s program staff and will provide excellent customer service to donor and prospects.
The position’s overall goal is helping grow AFT’s membership base and improve member retention. This position will help develop and build AFT’s retail membership program, which aims to acquire paid and complimentary memberships from individuals within agricultural or related industries (as identified by AFT program staff and through AFT or industry events). This position will also drive much of the day-to-day member relations with the goal of improving donor retention for AFT’s best donors, including sustainers and near mid-level members. This is a new position within the organization.
The position is based in AFT’s national headquarters in Washington, DC. Permanent full-time remote work in the Mid-Atlantic region is possible, dependent upon the candidate’s ability to work within Eastern Time business hours to best collaborate with colleagues.
What You’ll Be Working On
Member Acquisition Related
- Proactively work with program staff to drive new membership acquisition.
- Preparing program staff to make their own solicitations and/or working with program staff-identified prospect lists to make your own solicitations.
- Identifying membership acquisition opportunities at program-driven events and be the lead follow-up, driving cultivation and solicitation directly or training and working with program staff to.
- Building trust and rapport between program staff and membership – own every level of engaging program staff in new membership opportunities.
- Working with program staff leadership to identify new strategies and tools to drive program-prospect related new member acquisition.
- Drive new retail membership opportunities.
- Identify events that staff, including AFT’s President, could attend as speaker or sponsor (both virtual and in-person
- Attend events in the Mid-Atlantic region (and occasionally elsewhere) to drive with membership promotion and acquisition
- Increase the conversion rate from complimentary to gift-making members.
- Help develop and manage the conversion process of complimentary to paid membership at one-year anniversary.
Member Relations Related
- Be the front-person for all inbound Membership inquiries, providing excellent customer service via mail, email, and phone
- Improve donor stewardship through welcome and thank you calls, and other personal communications.
- Identify ways to improve/expand member benefits, increasing real and perceived value of AFT membership.
- Assist with donor reactivation of largest and most frequent donors, through email, phone, and personal communications & solicitations.
The ideal candidate is extremely detailed-oriented, proactive, and able to work efficiently and independently in a fast-paced environment, and possesses:
- A sincere commitment to personalized customer service.
- Experience with nonprofits, fundraising, donor relations, member-based organizations, and/or customer service, a plus. Technological savvy and inquisitiveness; and skilled in Excel and Word; familiarity with Raiser’s Edge donor database software or similar a plus.
- Ability to be a team player that collaborates with colleagues but also can be self-directed.
- Has excellent writing and verbal communication skills and enjoys communicating with members, donors, and colleagues at all levels.
- Enthusiasm; is well-organized; and is a quick learner.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a changing environment.
- A commitment to the mission, philosophy, and values of American Farmland Trust.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent.
- 1-3+ years of administrative experience; development, environmental, non-profit experience a bonus.
Why you should apply
- Be a part of a purpose-driven, committed, knowledgeable, high-performing, experienced and fun team
- A diverse and inclusive work environment
- A cause and mission you can be proud of
- Competitive compensation & Benefits
- Remote work opportunities
- Flexible scheduling
Ready to apply? If this job sounds like a fit for you, then click on the ‘apply’ button below.