Position Senior Financial Manager/Controller
Reports to SVP Finance
Date July 15, 2020
The Mission of this position is to build and sustain a General Accounting Function with appropriate controls. The accounting processes should efficient, effective, and compliant.
This position will lead all day-to-day finance operations and supervise the accounting team including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable. This position will ensure that WAEPA has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. S/he will work closely with managers and their staff, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support departmental operations.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
Budget and forecasting accuracy
Cycle time - Number of days required to close and produce monthly financial statements
Financial Statement and Journal Entry error rate
Department expenses vs. budget
Questions how things have been done in the past and try to develop new ways to address business issues or problems. Forward-thinking.
Makes sound and timely decisions with conviction. Assumes responsibility for the outcomes of their decisions.
Actively leads change efforts through words and actions. Builds support of those affected and takes personal responsibility to ensure changes are complete.
Displays and effectively applies a good understanding of general business and financial concepts to their work.
Planning & Organizing
Efficiently manages their time and the time of others. Manages multiple demands and competing deadlines. Effectively plans the timelines and actions of projects
Driving for Results
Establishes objectives and drives their accomplishment. Assumes personal responsibility for the success of the organization and persists through obstacles.
Consistently produces high-quality work. Applies discipline and detail orientation to work activities. Maintains and expects quality work from others.
Seeks to anticipate market & customer needs. Pushes the organization to do more than is required to satisfy the internal/external customer.
Conscientiously and reliably behaves in an ethical and honest manner in all interactions.
Maintains a positive attitude even when faced with frustration, pressure, or change. Recovers quickly from obstacles and setbacks.
Effectively manages and directs the activities of others to accomplish objectives. Conducts 1:1 and skip-level meetings. Holds people accountable.
Coaching & Developing
Sincerely interested in the development and success of others. Provides honest feedback and guidance in a supportive manner. It is positive, objective, and fair.
Actively seeks opportunities to build relationships important to their business. Has frequent contact with internal/external customers to assure satisfaction. Considers how their actions may impact others.
Listens effectively and develops a rapport with others. Articulates thoughts and ideas clearly. Effectively share information with others.
RESPONSIBILITIES/ ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipts of revenue, costs, program budgets, and actual expenditures.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports accurately and promptly; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership abreast of WAEPA’s financial status.
- Oversee all financial and project/program accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned to budgets.
- Manage organizational cash requirements forecasting.
- Track the performance of investments by accurate monthly reconciliations
- Provide direction and oversite of Accounting staff, help clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels of the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Prepares monthly close of accounting modules of the Financial Accounting Software
- Generates and reviews monthly financial reports; conducts and prepares variance analysis
- Reconciles applicable G/L accounts to detail.
- Prepares ad-hoc financial analysis/reports as needed
- Prepares monthly financial decks for management; prepares quarterly financial decks for Board of Directors
- Prepare external reporting; insurance carrier premium report; renewal of business licenses; personal property and gross receipts tax returns
- Update/maintain a calendar of reporting requirements
Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Complimentary medical, vision, dental, life, and disability insurance for eligible employees and their eligible dependents. WAEPA pays 100% of the premium for employees and their eligible family members.
- 401k - WAEPA contributes 15% of eligible employee's income after 30 days of employment
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Annual wellness benefits
- 14.5 Paid federal holidays
- 16 days of PTO per anniversary year (accrue 5 hours of PTO per pay period)
- Free Parking
- Social events and company swags
Financial concepts, GAAP (CPA Preferred)
Financial software systems (Sage Intacct Preferred)
Public accounting experience (preferred)
Microsoft products, especially Excel
Financial operations, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, financial reporting, general ledger, cash flow analysis, month and year-end closing, budgeting, and analysis
Effective written and verbal communication skills
Project management skills
Excellent interpersonal skills
Superior organizational skills
Critical thinking skills