Who we are:
At MWA Architects, we strive to create a legacy of beautiful and sustainable architecture for our communities. Our primary markets focus on humanity’s essential needs – multi-family housing and resilient public infrastructure. Our work's common thread is the deliberate undertaking of challenging projects with complex and diverse stakeholder needs as they offer opportunities often for creativity and innovation.
We advocate for racial and socio-economic equity by designing spaces where people can work or live in a healthy and dignified environment.
Designer 3 – San Francisco Infrastructure
MWA Architects is seeking a talented designer to join our growing San Francisco infrastructure design studio. Our diverse team is dedicated to designing sustainable, resilient, and beautiful water, power, and transportation projects. We are looking for a team player who is responsible, enthusiastic, and organized, and who can adapt to the demands of multiple complex project scopes at all phases of design and construction. You will bring attention to detail, the ability to communicate with the design team and managers, and demonstrate critical judgement and acquired knowledge. MWA fosters a dynamic and engaging work environment, and we seek applicants who will contribute to an inclusive workplace.
- Performs assignments designed to develop professional work skills, knowledge, and abilities in a variety of design and technical areas
- Independent judgement for tasks completed through experience on related projects or tasks
- Ability to provide design assistance for all aspects of a project
- Independently makes decisions on design problems and methods, coordinates with Project Architect and/or Lead Design Architect
- Has an understanding of construction and the responsibility that the firm has for administration of the design documents through construction
- Understanding of technology used to produce documents and drawings to support project design
- Manage coordination with A/E consultants for specific aspects of the project
- Assists/Leads programming/planning requirements of a project
- Assists in developing design solutions for all aspects of a project
- Leads development of technical documents for permit submission
- Coordinates materials/products with project speci?cation writer
- Building and development code research
- Assists and/or leads construction administration
- Assists/leads post occupancy data collection if intended for project
- Assists with project management tasks
- Takes direction on overall project scope and expectations, completes assignments given with assistance from supervisor as needed
- Provides direction to others also involved in the tasks undertaken
- Mentor assigned staff
- Share acquired technical knowledge and skills
- Attend selected professional organization meetings and/or events
- Contributes to other entrepreneurial and leadership activities
- Performs high quality technical work
- Assists Project Architect and/or Project Manager maintain ongoing relationship with existing clients
- May be asked to attend client and industry events as a representative for the firm
- May assist with proposal responses
- May take part in project interviews
- Non-licensed architectural status with experience with California building codes. Oregon and/or Washington state also desirable.
- LEED accreditation preferred but not required
- A Bachelor’s degree in Architecture from an accredited program
- At least six years of project designer experience within a small to medium-sized firm/studio environment with at least two years of experience with assisting in highly technical project types, such as industrial, civic, commercial, multi-family, administration, operations, laboratory, maintenance, facilities, public works, or transportation facilities. Campus-type projects a plus.
- Proficiency in Revit, Bluebeam, 3D computer modeling, Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUp, and related programs
- Performs work with independent judgment in the evaluation, selection, and adaptation of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria
- Receives direction on executing decisions on unusual or complex issues
- Works with lead design architect to develop project concept through design and construction
- Has an understanding of the technology used to produce documents and drawings to support project design
- Simultaneously handled and worked on the production of multiple projects as Job Captain, Technical Lead, Design Assistant, and Project Management Assistant
We prefer to find someone who is:
- Experienced quick learner and natural communicator
- Experienced in successfully fostering positive team synergy
- Knowledgeable and experienced with successfully completing approved tasks and solving design problems and methods
- Experience with sustainable and resilient design; LEED, Living Building, or other green accreditation a plus
- MWA offers a competitive salary and compensation package including paid time off (PTO), eight paid holidays, and an employer-matched 401K
- We offer a benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; a flexible spending account (FSA); and short-term and long-term disability
- You will be provided support in your professional development through continuing education opportunities, assistance with professional accreditations, and personalized mentorship
Please note that due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we are transitioning from remote home office to our headquarters at 135 Main Street Office in San Francisco. Initial interviews are being conducted via video conference.
MWA Architects is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics.
MWA will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. United States Department of Labor. Learn more: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/executive-order-11246
MWA will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you’re applying for a position in San Francisco, review the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance guidelines applicable in your area: https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
MWA participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. E-Verify Participation Poster (uscis.gov):https://e-verify.uscis.gov/web/media/resourcesContents/E-Verify_Participation_Poster.pdf?msclkid=3ec76111aeba11ec87b23d7c597eb5b6
MWA requires full vaccination to work in our offices. Full vaccination means one Johnson & Johnson vaccination or two Moderna or Pfizer vaccinations. Proof of vaccination status is required.
MWA is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need an accommodation at any point during the hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.