Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since 1973, Ayuda has provided critical services on a wide range of issues, in the process acquiring nationally recognized expertise in several fields including immigration law, language access, domestic violence and human trafficking. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC, Silver Spring, MD and Fairfax, VA.
WHY YOU WANT THE Project END & Immigration Staff Attorney JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
· In seeing communities where all immigrants succeed and thrive in the United States.
· In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
· That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
· That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
· That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THE Project END & Immigration Staff Attorney JOB ENTAIL?
· Represent and advocate for Project END clients by filing civil, consumer, bar, and UPL complaints; liaising with law enforcement; requesting and reviewing clients' immigration files; and applying for immigration relief.
· Provide direct immigration legal representation in a variety of immigration matters including representation of asylum-seekers; victims of trafficking seeking a T-visa; victims of crimes seeking a U-visa; victims of domestic violence seeking relief under VAWA; minors seeking Special Immigrant Juvenile Status; and those seeking other forms of immigration relief and representation in immigration matters.
· Represent Ayuda at meetings and collaborations with other agencies.
· Assist with outreach efforts to educate organizations and consumers about immigration legal services fraud.
· Collaborate with Ayuda’s social services staff to ensure the provision of holistic services.
· Assist with preparation of grant applications and reports.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THE Project END & Immigration Staff Attorney JOB?
Eligibility: Must be legally able to work in the United States and maintain proper work authorization throughout employment. Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position presented in a general office environment.
· Must be legally able to work in the United States and maintain work authorization throughout employment.
· Member in good standing with the Bar of any state; DC, VA, or MD strongly preferred;
· Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position presented in a general office environment.
• Bilingual skills (especially Spanish) required (other languages commonly spoken by Ayuda’s clients include Tagalog, French, Ixchil, other indigenous languages spoken in Central America, Portuguese, Arabic, and Amharic).
• Strong legal, organizational and time-management skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse, multidisciplinary team.
• Experience in immigration law, with litigation and removal defense experience a plus.
• Experience in consumer law a plus;
• Experience working with survivors of trauma a plus.
• Experience working with children and/or child custody or guardianship petitions a plus.
• Demonstrated commitment to social, racial and economic justice.
Project END & Immigration Staff AttorneY SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary is commensurate with experience and comes with a robust benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, long-term disability insurance, life and AD&D insurance as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays are observed, and Ayuda offers paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Employees with federal student loan debt may be eligible to apply for Public Service Loan Forgiveness through the Department of Education. For more information, go to https://myfedloan.org/borrowers/special-programs/pslf.
Additionally, the DC Bar Foundation’s Loan Repayment Assistance Program provides renewable one-year, interest-free, forgivable loans up to $12,000 per year for qualified Ayuda attorneys. For more information, see https:/dcbarfoundation.org/lrap/
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT STATEMENT:
Ayuda is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We believe that a diversity of experiences, opinions, and backgrounds is integral to achieving our mission and vision. We celebrate diversity and seek to leverage the passion, energy, and ideas of a culturally diverse team.