Position Summary: The Controller is a proactive, detail-oriented leader who conducts JFS’s day-to-day general accounting activities, including planning and budgeting, monthly close process, financial reporting, grant and programmatic reporting for an annual budget exceeding $5 million. The Controller works closely with our backup agency accountant who is responsible for accounts payable, vendor management, and payroll processing.
The Controller also manages the receivables process, including accurate and timely invoice creation, follow--up and correspondence with grantors, donors, and clients. The Controller assists in developing process improvements and inquiries, and assures payments are recorded and reconciled in a timely manner to maximize revenues.
Organization: JFS is a dynamic agency, supporting and strengthening lives throughout Greater Kansas City for over 120 years. Our human-centered culture means our staff looks for ways to say ‘yes’ to client need, and lower barriers to our programs. We served over 10,000 people in 2021 regardless of their faith, age, culture, or lifestyle through our Food Pantry, Older Adult Services, Mental Health Services, Family Life Education, Chaplaincy, and more.
The right candidate will align with our client approach and Guiding Principles:
Client Non-Discrimination Policy: Clients of Jewish Family Services have a right to be treated with dignity and respect, free of all discrimination, including that which is based on race, color, religion, gender, language, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship, or immigration status. JFS will make every reasonable accommodation to ensure access to our programs and services.
Guiding Principles: JFS is guided by five principles that inform how we engage with each other and the community we serve. The right candidate will be in alignment with these values:
- B’Yachad - Stronger Together: We are stronger as an agency and a community when we think, work, and serve together.
- Being Human-Centered: We put the human experience and perspective at the center of our thinking, programming, services, and interactions.
- Collaboration: We actively seek partnering opportunities within JFS and throughout our community
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship: We respond and continually adapt to ongoing needs and changes in the Greater Kansas City area.
- Open Communication: We communicate openly, honestly, and in a solution-oriented manner.
Financial Integrity and accuracy:
- In conjunction with the JFSKC Leadership Team, oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process. Proactively consider how to improve financial health.
- Collaborate with the Development Team and Grant Director to provide ad hoc financial reports and budgets to assist in grant application and reporting, gratitude initiatives and year-end reporting,
- Manage organization cash flow and forecasting to support operational requirements,
- Support the CFO in coordinating the annual audits for JFSKC by preparation of audit schedules and provision of requested audit evidence, and finalization of financial statements.
- Ensure that JFSKC’s program management and Board of Directors are supported with accurate and timely financial reporting,
- Remain current on GAAP accounting, reporting and control best practices, HIPAA, and state and federal law regarding nonprofit financial operations,
- Support JFSKC’s implementation of its strategic plan and other duties as assigned.
- Prepare and submit invoices to third-party payers,
- Adhere to deadlines established by grantors or JFSKC,
- Manage a comprehensive grant management system including analysis, post-award services, and oversight to ensure compliance with grant and contract-specific requirements,
- Handle collection process including the monthly and quarterly invoicing process,
- Work with reception staff, ensure appropriate collection of co--pay, spend down and self-pay fees from clients,
- Identify and resolve client billing problems with outsourced billing professionals,
- Assure coding is compliant and up to date,
- Reviews accounts and makes recommendations to the CFO regarding non-collectible accounts,
- Maintain strict confidentiality; adhere to all HIPAA guidelines/regulations.
- Oversee up--to--date credentials for each licensed social work provider, including verification through primary and secondary sources, records, and relay credentialing information to relevant personnel as needed. Keep accurate records of provider licensure/ certification renewals.
- Coordinate provider enrollments in all commercial, state, and federal insurance programs; Correspond with and provide updates to insurances.
- Perform multiple tasks effectively and meet multiple ongoing deadlines, prioritizing the agency’s ongoing fiscal reporting needs with a sense of urgency,
- Entrepreneurial mindset, able to work both independently and collaboratively,
- Strong analytical skills required,
- Flexibility and adaptability; able to shift styles to fit the needs of a diverse population of staff, clients, and donors; treating all with grace and kindness,
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities to ensure work is completed in a timely and productive manner,
- Embrace personal integrity and commitment to JFSKC’s mission, vision, and values.
- Bachelor’s degree required (Accounting is highly preferred: Finance or Business accepted),
- Five years or more or related experience in an agency/company of similar complexity,
- CPA certification,
- Experience in nonprofit accounting, including fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting,
- QuickBooks Desktop experience preferred, with the expectation to lead conversion to Sage Intacct or similar cloud-based accounting system in the coming year,
- Knowledge of medical billing/collection practices desired,
- Tech-savvy, with an aptitude for learning and implementing new technology platforms and tools.,
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
Physical and Cognitive Requirements:
- Requires full range of body motion including manual finger dexterity and eye--hand coordination,
- Able to sit and work on a computer for many hours per day,
- Capable of focusing and accuracy in a busy environment,
- Able to comply with JFSKC mandatory Covid-19 vaccination policy.
Salary Range: $65,000 – 75,000 annually
Benefits: In addition to competitive salaries, JFS offers great benefits including:
- Medical through BCBS (3 plan options)
- Dental, & Vision
- Employer Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability
- Employer Paid Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 3 Weeks PTO
- 3 Weeks Paid Holidays (Federal & Jewish)
- 3 Floating Holidays
- 50% Discount on Full Membership at Jewish Community Center
- Free Parking
Equality Statement: JFS is an equal opportunity employer, & we’re committed to meaningful diversity and inclusion on our staff. Our employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit, and organizational need. In keeping with our human-centered approach, all applicants will be considered for employment with dignity and respect, free of all discrimination, including race, color, religion, gender, language, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression.