Job Title: Project Associate, Process Innovation
Classification Level: Exempt
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Arlington, VA (remote work optional)
Position Timeline: 3-year period with potential for continuation
APHSA is recruiting new talent! We are seeking an ambitious new hire who is efficient and successful at managing projects that bring people, technology, and community together to advance customer-centered improvements in the delivery of public benefits.
APHSA is an association representing state and local agencies in the health and human services field. With and through these members, we work to advance solutions that are centered on administering, overseeing, and aligning programs to provide access to food, health care, housing, employment, childcare, community support, and other key building blocks.
Join a team of dedicated professionals who are results-oriented and are impacting systems across the nation! Our team at APHSA needs a person like you who leans forward and feels comfortable engaging with teammates, thought leaders and partners. We’re looking for an innovative, solution-oriented action taker who will add to our collaborative team environment.
While your main focus will be implementing project activities, we’re also looking for someone who thrives in a team environment. In addition, we need someone who is comfortable being on multiple cross functional internal teams to advance the work both internally and externally with kindness, compassion, inclusion, and a can-do spirit.
Your direct supervisor will be the Senior Policy Analyst. Your support will be the entire APHSA organization because we work best when we all work together!
The Project Associate, Process Innovation will provide day-to-day support of a portfolio of grant projects focused on helping state and local human services agencies develop organizational readiness and implement initiatives that lead to customer-centered, equitable business process improvements within human services agencies in coordination with aligned community and public sector partners. The Project Associate will help with the creation of foundational documents to support the design of grant initiatives, lead project management oversight of projects, provide technical assistance to participating agencies, and create content and deliverables in alignment with grant objectives. The Project Associate will also liaise with related APHSA learning communities and partner networks to foster relationships and broaden the reach of APHSA’s efforts to support process innovation within human services agencies.
Major Responsibility #1 (60%): Support the successful implementation of APHSA process innovation projects
- In partnership with other project team members, develop and manage detailed project schedules and work plans for the Process Innovation portfolio of contracts and grants
- Coordinate work activities of APHSA staff and teaming partners to ensure quality and timeliness of work products
- Provide direct technical assistance and support to state and local human services agencies participating in process innovation grant projects
- Facilitate cohort learning and peer-to-peer support across participating project sites
- Develop and manage reporting requirements for participating project sites
- Develop knowledge content, distilling insights and lessons learned from site-based projects for broader APHSA member field support
- Support events and design of web-based platforms that document resources and build knowledge base on process innovation for human services agencies
Major Responsibility #2 (15%): Support internal and member-facing APHSA communities
- Participate in existing APHSA member peer communities and affinity groups to maintain an understanding of emerging field priorities, opportunities, and best practices
- Facilitate presentations and peer-to-peer sharing using APHSA platforms to disseminate learnings from project-based work to broader APHSA membership
- Maintain relationships with other APHSA units and departments to coordinate on aligned content development and technical assistance efforts
Major Responsibility #3 (15%): Support partnership development and collaborations
- Foster working relationships with national and community partners in fields such as civic tech and industry to exchange ideas and explore opportunities for collaboration
- Represent APHSA at national events and stakeholder meetings related to process innovation and human-centered design in human services
- Scan national landscape for tools and resources to incorporate into APHSA process innovation strategies and to share with APHSA members, curating email, social media, publications, and other communication platforms
Other Duties #4 (10%): Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of BA/BS degree and 2-5 years of work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with different contributors and stakeholders to achieve shared goals.
- Strong project management, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Solid oral and written communication skills and experience producing written products for a variety of audiences.
- Ability to schedule, plan, facilitate, and manage meetings is required.
- Eager to collaborate with internal and external teams on influential projects for health and human services policy and practice modernization.
- Experience with public presentations preferred.
- Understanding of and experience participating in or administering public benefit programs preferred, such as SNAP, TANF, and Medicaid.
- Experience engaging with and including perspectives of multiple communities into design and administration of project work, and knowledge of how concepts of structural racism and bias impacts underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Working understanding of grant management.
- Willingness to travel up to 15% as public health considerations permit.
- Knowledge of or experience implementing system and/or process changes within complex bureaucratic environments strongly preferred.
- Understanding of the relationship between policy, operations, technology, and procurement in advancing process improvement within public systems preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office.
Please submit your resume and cover letter.
This employer participates in E-Verify for employment verification.
The American Public Human Services Association (APHSA) is a bipartisan national membership association representing state and local health and human services agencies and the subject matter experts that help execute their mission to improve outcomes for people nationwide. APHSA's dedication to promoting diversity, racial equity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in how we work and support our members. It is more than a commitment—it is the foundation of how we do what we do. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and recognize that building well-being starts with creating a space where our employees are comfortable bringing their authentic, unique selves to work.
Building on our long-standing relationships with health and human services leaders, we focus on generating pragmatic solutions that advance the well-being of individuals, families, and communities.