Responsible for keeping the school site and school materials clean and in good working order; identify potentially unsafe situations, and keep the physical plant and surrounding areas clean and free of debris. Work cooperatively with the School Leader, Maintenance Project Coordinator and Maintenance Supervisor to obtain cost estimates for maintenance work on school facility and building systems. May perform basic maintenance tasks; may coordinate the performance of emergency work or significant projects by vendors or contractors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
· Implement the directives of the School Leader or other designated supervisor with respect to cleaning and maintaining the academy facility. May include cleaning and maintaining classrooms, common areas, offices, restrooms, athletic facilities, or any inside or outside area of the school building and grounds. Perform maintenance tasks within own skill and expertise, including basic carpentry, painting, plumbing, heating/cooling, and other facility work.
· Prepare cost estimates or obtain bids for the purchase of materials or repair work from outside resources. May oversee the performance of maintenance tasks by vendors or contractors.
· Report concerns about safety or health as related to the academy facility to the School Leader; whenever possible, immediately correct potentially unsafe situations in order to avoid injury to self, staff, students, visitors and others.
· Follow established guidelines related to universal precautions including blood-born pathogens procedures. When significant maintenance projects are being performed, ensure or coordinate with others to ensure that proper safety procedures are implemented such as proper scaffolding, lock-out/tag-out procedures, and others.
· May be responsible for ordering or purchasing cleaning and maintenance materials; follow procedures to ensure expenditures are properly documented and academy funds are properly handled.
· Work cooperatively with other staff members in completing assignments. May be responsible for coordination of work with facility landlord, if applicable.
· Maintain an accurate inventory of available supplies, equipment and vehicles.
· Submit gas receipts, material receipts and invoices and odometer readings on a weekly basis to School Leader or Maintenance Supervisor.
· Follow maintenance calendar as set by Maintenance Supervisor.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Basic reading, writing and speaking skills to enable staff member to understand and carry out supervisory instructions and to read and understand health and safety information (for example Material Safety Data Sheets).· Prior custodial and/or maintenance experience to enable candidate to meet the custodial and maintenance needs of the academy facility. Licensure in building trades areas helpful but not necessarily required.· Ability to organize work to meet daily deadlines.· May be required to work afternoon or evening shifts, depending on academy needs.· May be required to respond to emergency situations at any time of day or night.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTSAble to perform custodial and maintenance duties including sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, removing trash, which entails:· Lifting up to 50 pounds repeatedly throughout the day· Bending and twisting frequently throughout the work day· Frequent stair climbing (site dependent)