Alpha Analytical is a world class environmental testing laboratory specializing in providing the highest quality and most trusted analytical testing results in the world. Our unsurpassed customer service and unequaled quality systems has made us the largest analytical laboratory in the Northeast ranking us 6th among environmental testing laboratories in the country.
The Emerging Contaminants Extractions Laboratory Manager is responsible for the day-to-day and strategic functions of their department. Responsibilities include but are not limited to; meeting client satisfaction/performance goals, scheduling and prioritizing department daily task lists, problem solving, productivity improvements utilizing Lean / Continuous Improvement tools, implementing new procedures and methods, reviewing and validating data, completing reports, and ensuring health and safety and quality assurance compliance. Responsible for all aspects of staff management, including but not limited to hiring, training, development, proficiency, retention, and employee engagement. The Department Manager plays a critical role in helping the company meet its financial and operational goals and objectives.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate work projects with client services representatives to appropriately prioritize
- laboratory workload to meet client requirements (quality, on-time performance, and Turn Around Time or TAT).
- Manage all aspects of department operations to ensure compliance to both financial and operational objectives (overtime control, consumable spend, process improvements).
- Interact, review and communicate details of non-conformances, and rework.
- Develops, implements, and executes innovative and creative ideas to promote improvements in process operations. Active LEAN participant.
- Prioritize and schedule sample analyses, communicate due dates, TAT and project specific details. Responsible for quality of samples to be analyzed.
- Review data produced in assigned department and authorize release.
- Ensure QA compliance as related to the maintenance and implementation of SOP’s, MDL’s, IDOC’s.
- Supervise lab staff to ensure appropriate testing procedures are conducted in compliance with QA and SOP requirements.
- Operate and maintain laboratory analytical equipment requiring advanced and specialized knowledge.
- Ensure the timely and proper maintenance of equipment and coordinate repairs/backups when necessary.
- Elevate department issues as necessary and provide production status reports to Operations Director.
- Participate in interviewing and hiring new staff and making overall staffing decisions.
- Provide regular ongoing performance feedback and goal setting to staff and evaluate overall performance in yearly performance review.
- Ensure the training of all new analysts and ensure continuing training and cross-training opportunities for current staff as related to analytical protocols and instrument maintenance.
- Conduct department operations in compliance with established Health & Safety protocols.
- Help facilitate sharing of resources with other departments and/or other locations as necessary.
- Client contact as necessary (i.e. tours, presentations, etc.) to support Customer Service and/or Sales initiatives.
- Prepare department reports as assigned by Operations Director.
- Maintain and promote clean work area(s).
- Assist other laboratory departments as needed.
Minimum Required Skills:
- Knowledge of safe laboratory practices and emergency protocols
- Advanced knowledge of all department methods and instrumentation
- Strong attention to quality and detail
- Previous leadership experience
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Problem analysis and problem resolution skills
- Focus on commitment to customer service
- Benefit package including Medical, Dental and Vision insurance
- Paid-Time Off
- Employee Bonus Program
- Long-term and short-term disability
- 401k package with company matching
- Wellness Health Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Company Activities and Events
Alpha Analytical is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and as such does not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, martial status, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other classification protected by discrimination laws.
- Extensive knowledge of environmental sample extraction methods including: soxhlet, microwave and Solid Phase Extraction (SPE) for EPA537.1, EPA1613B, EPA8290A, EPA1668A/C, PFAS by Isotope Dilution in support of Emerging Contaminants (PFAS - Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances).
- A strong drive for continuous improvement in the areas of productivity, quality and customer service.
Education: BS/BA in Chemistry, Biology, or Environmental Science
Experience: 5 years + analytical experience; 3+ years management experience