North Carolina Advanced Energy Corporation (Advanced Energy) is a nonprofit energy consulting firm headquartered on NC State University’s Centennial Campus in Raleigh, NC. We strive to ensure that energy is clean, affordable, reliable, efficient and safe for all people. We work with electric utilities; state, federal and local governments; manufacturers and a variety of public and private partners in five markets: residential, commercial and industrial, motors and drives, renewables and electric transportation.
At Advanced Energy, we know that our organization thrives only when our employees are valued and supported. You will be aided in your career goals and be put in a position to excel. You’ll work on teams that promote idea sharing and challenge you to learn and expand your expertise. You’ll also be encouraged to seek work-life balance, with flexible hybrid schedules and an array of leave options so you can spend time with family and pursue personal interests.
We are also committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our staff is the most valuable resource we have, and we appreciate that our employees come from varied backgrounds, cultures and experiences. By providing a supportive and respectful environment that promotes creativity and collaboration, Advanced Energy makes a lasting, positive difference in all of the work we do.
Benefits – Visit our website for more information and a full list of employee benefits – www.advancedenergy.org.
Advanced Energy’s residential energy services includes SystemVision, an affordable program that has certified over 5,000 new homes, designed to be healthy, safe, durable, comfortable and energy efficient. This position will be responsible for inspecting homes at various stages in the construction process, conducting plan reviews, performing HVAC load calculations, communicating with builders and their subcontractors and providing other technical services in the energy field to utilities, federal and state agencies, and other customers.
This position will also support other projects and teams for the residential market and potentially across the other markets. Our projects focus on developing and delivering programs for utilities that can deliver economic benefit to consumers and increase customer satisfaction and engagement.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Knowledge of residential buildings, building science, energy code, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, and/or distributed energy resource technologies
- Experience with field inspections, applied studies, and working with building trades/trade allies
- Experience performing calculations or modeling for energy and demand measures such as Ekotrope, REMRate, BeOpt or other building software
- Experience explaining and presenting technical content
- Industry certification(s) through Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET), Building Performance Institute (BPI), Association of Energy Engineers (AEE), or equivalent
- Conduct outreach and logistical support in order to perform diagnostics, inspections and studies including site visits and field evaluations to conduct measurement tests, record results and summarize data.
- Assess aspects of the quality of design, construction, and operation for energy technologies according to a defined standard.
- Perform quality assurance/control, recommend solutions, define and interpret the importance of the implementation of corrective measures.
- Perform design reviews including computer modeling load calculations, energy performance analysis or design documentation for simple buildings and facilities.
- Perform technical analysis and present concise results to project partners and customers.
- Provide outreach, education and hands-on assistance in deploying new technologies in the field and troubleshoot root cause of problems in the field/lab.
- Help establish equipment selection and measurement tools and techniques for energy technologies.
- Assist with preparing reports and documentation delineating tasks, analysis and design, test results, and recommendations for further action.
- Conduct presentations and field trainings; may assist in preparing a workshop.
- Assist in designing and developing products and services that take advantage of new knowledge generated by applied research and studies.
- Assist in coordinating applied research studies on a national basis, consulting with other organizations and experts.
- Acquire data from field/lab instruments and process into useful information.
- Develop technical and professional knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies. Keep up with new technologies being deployed relevant to work.
- Recommend improved procedures such as workflow, testing/calibration procedures, etc.
- Develop expertise through targeted development activities and new job experiences.
- Communicate with external clients, partners and allies.
- Exercise problem solving skills and take on new learning while working with customers and other industry professionals.
- Participate on project teams.
- Help establish and adhere to project scope, timeline and budget.
- Coordinate projects or tasks, making detailed plans to accomplish objectives and assist with the integration of technical activities.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with team members.
- Develop and maintain professional client relationships.
- Work to promote business opportunities with both new and repeat clients.
- Clarify and evaluate technical aspects of service requests from customers.
- Engage with clients to prepare and meet project specifications.
- Respectfully collaborate with our partners and clients.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical field and 1-3 years of technical work experience preferably in the energy field, construction or building science, industrial/commercial buildings, electric/alternative transportation and/or community planning, solar or distributed energy resources is required. An equivalent combination of education and relevant experience is required.
- Basic skill level using Microsoft Office Products.
- Problem solving and data interpretation skills; strong written and oral communication skills; ability to work in teams as well as independently; organization, time management and attention to detail; ability to plan and deliver projects; ability to develop and adhere to project budget; commitment to excellent customer service; technical writing and research skills.
Physical Demands/Work Conditions
In this role, the person will hold a valid NC driver’s license and travel 40-60% of the time to interface with customers. Some positions or projects could require more and occasionally for periods up to a week. The individual may frequently have to ascend and descend a ladder or crawl or kneel in small and contained spaces to perform inspections, collect data and/or detect errors. Must be able to work in industrial environments (plants and labs) or construction sites and follow company and/or customer safety protocols. Must be able to work in excessive hot or cold temperatures for short periods of time. Position could require exposure to the elements and wearing personal protective equipment.
Employment Type: This is an exempt full-time position. There may be occasions where the hours of work may vary, be irregular, and be reasonably required to meet the goals of the organization. This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive and is subject to change. It is not an implied contract of employment.
Cover letter and resume preferred.
North Carolina Advanced Energy Corporation is headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and provide fair and equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and all other protected statuses under federal, state or local laws. All employment decisions are based on job-related requirements.
All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verification or approval for a medical or religious accommodation is required after an offer is accepted and no later than 1st day of employment. Employees must pass a background check and substance abuse test.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening. You can request reasonable accommodation by sending an email to email@example.com.