Streetsense seeks a new Design Director to join our Interior Architecture team in Washington, DC. This role directs a design team in all aspects of the Interior Architecture process including but not limited to the design & documentation of all phases, the preparation of materials, and construction administration activities within established budgets, schedules, and programmatic requirements.
Directors will lead multiple projects and liaise directly with clientele and consultants in addition to managing a team of designers & architects on projects that may not directly involve the Director.
- Leading creative effort by providing design leadership on projects and/or teams
- Continuously communicate with Senior Design Director to align on overarching priorities and project activities
- Elevate the quality of design through a mix of strategic and creative efforts
- Lead design teams, develop next generation talent, bring to new approaches to design process, and cultivate long lasting client relationships
- Lead the creative efforts of multiple interior design teams on projects from initial concept stages through construction and installation
- Drive alignment in our designs with our vision, client’s goals, budget, and fees
- Build and sustain client relationships
- Develop overall design strategies for use by studio and company
- Interface with Project Direction/Management on creation and maintenance of project metrics and parameters such as fees, schedules, etc.
- Collaborate with cross-partner leaders to promote inter-disciplinary design approach and philosophy
- Partner with senior leadership to execute on strategy, management, and values
- Build collaboration and mentorship within the studio
- Participate in business development activities, including pitches, marketing efforts, proposals and interviews
- Promote best practices within the studio and company in order to build the people and practice of Streetsense
- Champion for identifying learning and growth opportunities within the company
- Initiates opportunities and leads efforts to educate office studio on design principles, innovation, trends.
- Builds and develops client and business relationships, including identifying, pursuing and securing new opportunities.
- Collaborates with Leadership team to prepare, issue, and manage compliance plans to align project goals including budget, deliverables and schedule.
- Leads others by example, participates in staff mentoring and training, clearly define team member expectations and responsibilities, empowers others, and delegates where appropriate based on team members' recognized abilities and potential.
- Thought leadership and developing strategy on how to build and inspire teams, and to enhance studio culture.
- Mentors and develops all Design staff; directly manages Senior Designers including providing project oversight and ongoing performance feedback, in addition to participating in employee performance reviews.
- Manages both our existing project pipeline and driving new business and marketing efforts.
- Organizes project plans with input from Studio and Technical Leads from Interiors Group.
- Contributes to the development of standards, policies, and procedures.
- Participates actively in project design, technical discussions and decision making.
- Assists in Managing the owner/client relationship and expectations to allow team to work effectively, efficiently and collaboratively
- Bachelor/Master Degree in Interior Design or Architecture from a CIDA or NAAB-accredited program
- 15+ years of post-graduate professional experience, preferably within the Hospitality Industry
- Currently licensed/registered or willing to complete professional registration requirements within one year of hire
- Proficiency in Revit or relevant BIM software strongly preferred
- Advanced experience in construction documentation production, project design specifications, and shop drawing review
- Advanced experience with construction materials and Specifications
- Advanced experience with FF&E providers and FF&E specifications/writing (for FF&E focused designers)
- Hand drafting/sketching skills
- Understanding and application of design principles, theories, color and materials
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Suggest Architectural License or NCIDQ certified
- Self-directed, motivated, collaborative and professional
- Ability to contribute and participate in a highly collaborative team environment
Streetsense is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.