About Alcoholics Anonymous
Founded in 1935, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services (A.A.W.S) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and an international fellowship of people who have had a drinking problem. It is nonprofessional, self-supporting, multiracial, apolitical, and available almost everywhere. The General Service Office (GSO) in the Morningside Heights neighborhood of New York City employs approximately 85 individuals and serves over 2 million members in the US and Canada.
Our mission at the GSO of Alcoholics Anonymous is to support carrying the message of Alcoholics Anonymous to the still-suffering alcoholic by providing services to A.A. members, groups and others; publishing and distributing A.A literature, preserving A.A. history, and sharing A.A.’s collective experience. Not only is our team incredibly mission-driven, but also tremendously supportive of each other as both colleagues and individuals.
The Spanish Translator is responsible for the translation of materials from English into Spanish. This role assists with the planning and coordination of day-to-day activities relating to the Spanish translation of all A.A. Conference-approved literature as well as staff resources, service materials, periodicals and other A.A. materials produced by the General Service Office.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Assists the Language Services Manager and the Spanish Editor in scheduling, communicating, and executing translation priorities.
- Translates materials from English into Spanish for use at A.A. events, including website texts, reports, written programs, press releases, Public Service Announcement scripts, activity updates and memos from G.S.O. (General Service Office) service desks and G.S.O. Archives.
- Reviews translated materials for accuracy and consistency according to G.S.O. style sheets and glossaries.
- Collaborates with the Managing Editor and Editorial Process Coordinator to review Spanish-language publications including books, pamphlets, catalogs, booklets and guidelines for reprints, revisions and updates.
- Coordinates Spanish-language freelance editorial resources, including proofreading, editing, monitoring progress and reviewing submitted work.
- Makes effective use of relevant language technologies and tools.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Required Skills / Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with knowledge of English and Spanish language, grammar, spelling, punctuation, usage and culture.
- Extensive knowledge of editing procedures and terminology; working knowledge of current typesetting and publishing practices.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at once.
- Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills in Spanish.
- Excellent Spanish-English translation skills.
- Proactive attitude in learning and developing additional skills and knowledge relevant to the job.
- Fluency in English and Spanish required.
- Candidate must be a native Spanish speaker.
- In-house position (Currently on hybrid schedule).
- Work authorization required – no sponsor.
- Knowledge of AA service structure a plus.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in translation and/or language-related fields, or relevant work experience.
- Three to five years' experience working as a professional translator.
Pay & Benefits
This salaried, exempt position has a base salary of $70,000.
A.A.W.S. offers outstanding health benefits including majority employer paid medical, dental and vision at no cost to the employee, an employer-funded health reimbursement account, long- and short-term disability, and life insurance. We offer generous paid time off including vacation days, sick days, personal days, and paid holidays. Additional benefits include a 403(b) plan with employer contribution, tuition reimbursement program, and salary continuation program, all of which are available after 12 months of employment.
Click the “Apply” button below to complete our application, we look forward to hearing from you!
A.A.W.S. is committed to the full inclusion of all individuals. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided with reasonable accommodation. If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-870-3138.
A.A.W.S. is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.