Level: INT VI
Supervisor: Studio Leader
This position requires an independent thinker to lead a team with the project manager. You will be able to guide projects, using your experience and professional judgement to craft the final outcome. You will have the opportunity to develop a wide array of skills. You will have the opportunity to coordinate major aspects and components of projects with teams internal and external to the firm.
SERA is a firm of learners, eager to advance the resilient and equitable outcomes we want to see for our communities and the planet. Our 100% employee-owned firm promotes a collaborative environment where every staff member’s unique strengths and contributions are valued. Sustainability, urbanism, and community-building are intrinsic to the ways we think and work. We’re not afraid of the gnarly problems that come with this territory; in fact, some of our favorite workdays wrap up around the kegerator passionately hashing out the next, better idea.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Supervise, coordinate, plan and review the work of an entire ID project team. This includes the mentoring of ID staff on project teams.
2. Use the building code to develop architectural plans. Provide code interpretations supporting the project objectives.
3. Support the project by interacting/negotiating with jurisdictions to obtain building permits.
4. Interact with the client to achieve project goals. Propose potential solutions that advance the project in unique ways.
5. Understand and adhere to the project’s contract requirements.
6. Provide strong leadership for the project assigned; create and organize work plans for interior design project team. Demonstrate through firm wide leadership by helping other design teams.
7. Report concisely and accurately to senior staff the status of the project. This includes Staffing/ financial reports of the project, moral of the team, client perception and the ability to forecast short term project needs.
8. Be a resource to other SERA staff.
9. Develop, articulate and execute the project scope for a wide variety of projects.
10. Research and select finishes appropriate for the project type and use.
11. Lead interiors client presentations.
12. Work independently on all phases of a project.
13. Regularly perform project management functions (schedules, staffing and budgets).
14. Independently coordinate MEP systems relating to interior work.
15. Perform QA/QC.
16. Ability to be the main client contact for a project and lead the client process.
1. Perform project management duties such as project work plan and schedule development for entire small to medium projects.
2. Familiarity with trends in the A/E/C industry.
3. Participate in the interview process for hiring new staff.
4. Participate/lead in the management review of staff members.
5. Provide constructive feedback to facilitate continuous improvement.
6. Develop, articulate and define portions of the project scope or entire smaller projects.
7. Interest and/or engagement in industry groups to develop specialized knowledge.
8. Work with and support the marketing and business development group in the office.
9. Work with and support the accounting department regarding project financials.
10. Other duties as assigned.
Education + Experience
· Requires a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an accredited program.
· Generally have 8+ years of experience.
· NCIDQ required.
· Proficiency in Autodesk Revit, Adobe Creative Suite, MS Office Suite, and Bluebeam required.
· LEED AP Preferred.
What you'll bring:
· Knowledge of Sketchup, SpecLink, Smartsheet, Deltek preferred.
· Possesses intermediate to advanced knowledge of the OSSC/ ADAAG and possesses the ability to achieve the intent of the code through variances and appeals.
· Possesses knowledge of other codes such as OMSC, OFC, NFPA, OSHA, FHA, ANSI, City of Portland, etc. and the USGBC LEED rating system and score card.
· Advanced ability to communicate through verbal, written and graphic communication formats.
· Advanced ability to determine the right tool for the task.
· Advanced ability to prioritize and evaluate multiple important tasks.
· Advanced critical thinking to identify strengths, weaknesses or alternate solutions to a problem independently.
· Advanced professional judgment and decision-making processes to determine the most appropriate course of action.
· Established leadership skills that motivate and guide teams and projects to desired outcomes.
· Established skills necessary to resolve conflicts within project teams.
· Established ability to negotiate with and/ or advocate for team members, consultants, clients, jurisdictions for the benefit of SERA and the project.
COVID-19 considerations: Proof of COVID-19 Vaccine (required)
SERA Architects Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.