About Chicago Sun-Times Media, Inc.
The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicago’s working women and men with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, we are now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism that is deeply connected to Chicago communities.
We are seeking an SEO analyst to assist our editorial, marketing, and product teams in growing our organic search traffic. The ideal candidate has a passion for journalism, an understanding of existing content and technical SEO best practices, and the curiosity to stay on top of emerging trends and formats. This position requires both the ability to understand existing search performance data as well as the creativity to make data-informed recommendations about areas of content we’re not yet producing.
Search has always been a significant traffic source for the Chicago Sun-Times, but this is a new position with a singular focus, and as such offers the ability for the right candidate to make a significant impact on growing our audience.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position will help define our search strategy for historical, current and future content. Duties may include:
- Assist newsroom editors in optimizing our daily content through keyword research, recommending headlines and URLs, as well as article formats.
- Develop new strategies to surface articles that remain relevant from our historical archives.
- Monitor search rankings and performance of our core content pillars, and provide actionable insights and recommendations to our newsroom for how they can be improved.
- Audit our existing content taxonomy and offer an informed point of view on how it can be improved.
- Provide feedback and recommendations on content performance, both in group and one-on-one settings.
- Collaborate with the newsroom in planning tentpole news events by reviewing content plans and making recommendations based on historical trends and competitive analysis.
- Collaborate with editors to brainstorm evergreen service journalism opportunities, and provide data-informed recommendations for how they should be prioritized.
- Assist the product team in identifying and prioritizing technical SEO improvements across our websites, including structured data and Core Web Vitals.
- Collaborate with marketing with keyword research to identify SEM opportunities.
- Develop strategies to drive key conversions.
- Collaborate with the analytics team to build SEO dashboards for stakeholders to track key indicators and performances.
Minimum Skills and Qualifications
- Previous experience developing and executing SEO strategies for a publisher or news organization.
- Excellent communication skills, and experience working with colleagues with various levels of SEO experience.
- Expertise using analytics tools such as Google Analytics, Search Console, Trends and Chartbeat.
- Expertise with SERP monitoring and site auditing tools, which could include Semrush, Ahrefs, Moz, SimilarWeb and/or Screaming Frog.
- Better yet: have a strong point of view on the tools above, and be able to explain their strengths and weaknesses.
What We Offer
- A comprehensive compensation and benefits package
- An opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture
- An opportunity to be part of an iconic brand!
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice.
COVID-19 Requirement: CST requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination upon hire.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.