Job Title: Architectural Senior Project Manager
Supervisor: Studio Leader / PIC
What you’ll do:
Join our team and you will be leading, among other innovative projects, Mass timber high-rise and modular mid-rise housing projects with progressive clients. You’ll be working with exceptionally talented internal and external partners who are dedicated and passionate about the success of the projects they are involved in. This is an opportunity to push the envelope and put forth solutions to achieve beautifully designed, highly sustainability housing at all levels of affordability.
At SERA we are focused on a highly collaborative project experience where everyone contributes design ideas. You’ll be joining a firm that is dedicated to improving the lives of others. We care about each other, we care about our communities, and we care about our work.
Why is this role important?
As a design-focused Senior Project Manager, you will play a critical role in optimizing your team’s performance and supporting the design of each project. We are looking for someone with exceptional communication and problem-solving skills. The ideal candidate is someone who is masterful at balancing multiple stakeholders and providing design impact at the right time. You will engage directly with clients and become a trusted partner in helping them craft and define their priorities in a way that aligns with the design process. In addition to advocating for the project design and quality, you’ll need to have significant experience managing the design team needs along with project scope, schedule, fee, agreements and invoicing. And if you have experience with integrated project delivery, including Design/Build that would be beneficial for some of our projects.
SERA is a firm of learners, eager to advance the resilient and equitable outcomes we want to see for our communities and the planet. Our 100% employee-owned firm promotes a collaborative environment where every staff member’s unique strengths and contributions are valued. Sustainability, urbanism, and community-building are intrinsic to the ways we think and work. We’re not afraid of the gnarly problems that come with this territory; in fact, some of our favorite workdays wrap up around the kegerator passionately hashing out the next, better idea.
Education + Experience
- Requires a Bachelor or Master’s degree from an accredited program.
- California Architectural License is preferred.
- Have 15+ years of experience.
- LEED AP Preferred.
What you'll bring:
- Established knowledge of accounting and project management software. We currently use Bluebeam, MS Project, Vantagepoint and Asana - but are interested in understanding the tools that have been effective for you.
- Possesses knowledge of California Code and Accessibility requirements and possesses the ability to achieve the intent of the code through variances and appeals.
- Possesses knowledge of drawing and production software (understanding of capabilities, requirements, and impact on project documentation strategy).
- Advanced ability to communicate through verbal, written and graphic communication formats.
- Established knowledge of available tools.
- Advanced ability to prioritize and evaluate multiple important tasks.
- Advanced critical thinking to identify strengths, weaknesses or alternate solutions to a problem independently.
- Advanced professional judgment and decision making processes to determine the most appropriate course of action.
- Advanced leadership skills that motivate and guide teams and projects to desired outcomes.
- Advanced skills necessary to resolve conflicts within project teams.
- Advanced ability to negotiate with and/ or advocate for team members, consultants, clients, jurisdictions for the benefit of SERA and the project.
- Strong knowledge of design, construction systems, sustainability, project delivery methodologies (IPD), material application, and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise, coordinate, plan, and review the work of entire project teams. This includes the mentoring of staff on project teams.
- Build internal and external project team with skills/interests suited to the needs of the project.
- Define the unique goals and objectives required by the client and project team and the decision-making strategies and success metrics used to validate them.
- Prepare contracts and negotiations with oversight on unique issues.
- Prioritize goals, design intent, scope, and tasks to meet client needs and use teams effectively.
- Develop, articulate, define and execute the project scope, fees, and proposals for a wide variety of projects.
- Negotiate consultant’s scope, schedule and fees.
- Proactively communicate staffing needs and changes with staffing director/studio leaders.
- Proactively, organize and execute selected marketing and business development opportunities
- Work with PIC to ensure positive financial performance and manage risk exposure for the firm.
- Keep abreast of and understand national trends in the A/E/C industry and how they apply to SERA culture, practices and processes.
- Keep abreast of and understand influences impacting SERA clients.
- Foster team morale, both internal and external while creating a collaborative team environment.
- Identify and leverage core skills and areas of interest for staff, providing opportunities for growth and development.
- Confirm that project goals are carried out and reinforced through design, technical, and cost decisions, both internally and externally.
- Provide support to ensure the project meets office standards for design, documentation, technical performance, Revit, and graphics.
- Manage changes in scope, schedule and fee throughout the project to ensure project success.
- Experience with varying project delivery methods, including Design/Build a plus.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, contractors, and jurisdictional/approval agencies. Participate in the interview process for hiring new staff.
- Participate in the employee review process for all team members.
- Participate in updates to standards, processes, and project delivery at SERA.
- Participation in industry groups to develop specialized knowledge.
COVID-19 considerations: Proof of COVID-19 Vaccine (required)
SERA Architects Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.