Location: Air & Space Museum - 7711 E Academy Blvd, Denver CO, 80230 (primary)
Exploration of Flight - 13005 Wings Way, Englewood CO, 80112 (secondary)
Classification: Regular | Part-Time | Non-Exempt
Payrate: $19/hour ~ $21/hour (depending on experience)
Work Schedule: Tuesday ~ Saturday* | 8:30am ~ 2:00pm* | 25 ~ 30 hours/week
*This position will accommodate a flexible work schedule with availability needed on weekends, holidays, evenings as necessary, and occasional special events.
Applications must be received by: Saturday November 25th, 2023
The Museum Store Coordinator will assist in operating the Museum’s retail gift shop by creating an attractive, inviting, and exciting shopping experience for guests. This position will interact with Museum visitors daily in a fast-paced environment by providing general assistance, expert product knowledge, impeccable customer service, and vital store functions. The Museum Store Coordinator will help train and oversee Visitor Services Associates in their store capacities. This position will also assist in inventory management requiring advanced organizational skills, attention to detail, and merchandizing savvy. The Museum Store Coordinator reports to the Museum Store Manager as a member of the Visitor Services team and works closely with the Visitor Services Associates, the Visitor Services Manager, Museum Technologist, and other inter-departmental teams.
Founded in 1994 on the former Lowry Air Force Base, Wings Over the Rockies is a non-profit community organization dedicated to unlocking dreams of flight through exhibits, local events, and educational programming. We are Colorado’s premier Air & Space Museum having been recognized by CNN Travel as one of their 20 Best aviation museums in the world. Each year we welcome roughly 160,000 visitors representing all 50 states and dozens of countries internationally. We are committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility boasting more than 100,000 sq. ft. of open hanger space full of iconic aircraft, space vehicles, historical artifacts, and more. Visitors can experience thrilling flight simulators, discover educational programs, and participate in one of our many exciting museum-sponsored events.
Exploration of Flight (EoF) is our flight-focused educational extension. This 15-acre campus is located at the Centennial Airport where we offer showcase events with a variety of aircraft, aviation immersion programs, pilot ground training, and flight experiences. EoF is home to our Blue Sky Gallery exhibit and interactive aviation center featuring an airworthy fleet of civilian and military aircraft.
- 403(b) group retirement plan
- Paid Sick leave
- Museum membership, store discount, and other employee perks
- Potential for annual bonuses, merit pay increases, and career advancement
Duties & Responsibilities
Please Note - This list is not all inclusive but intended to be a general guide to the primary duties of this position.
- Assist in maintaining the museum store: restock merchandise, organize shelves, refresh displays, etc.
- Sell product and complete customer transactions utilizing our point-of-sale (POS) system; cover the front desk as needed
- Reconcile cash drawers at the end of each shift; prepare and review transaction reports
- Interact and assist with museum visitors, answer questions, and provide excellent customer service
- Represent the Museum to the public in a welcoming, energetic, professional, and friendly manner
- Promote various events, membership drives, promotions, and new exhibits
- Handle guest complaints or issues in a manner that ensures positive guest experience recovery and communicate with managers if additional support is required
- Maintain a clean, neat, and organized storefront, stock room, and work area(s)
- Direct Museum deliveries, vendors, visitors, and event traffic
- Assist in receiving for weekly merchandise shipments: inspect product for damage, enter new inventory into Altru, create price labels, rotate stock, and submit merchant invoices for payment
- Enforce store policies and implement loss prevention measures
- Work with the Director of Visitor Services Director and Store Manager to conduct annual store-wide inventories
- Help manage and train Visitor Services Associates on customer service best practices, locations of backstock, product knowledge, selling points, and general museum information
- Motivate and coach a diverse team on a variety of store and guest services to exceed the expectations of visitors by providing a superb museum experience
- Communicate and interact effectively with diverse communities including those with disabilities or neurodivergent people
- Attend annual meetings of the Museum Store Association (MSA), budget permitting
- Serve as the acting Manager when the Museum Store Manager is out of office
Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum operates in an 80-year-old aircraft hangar. Exploration of Flight is located at a busy regional airport. Environmental conditions may vary.
If you are an individual with a disability, you may request reasonable accommodations if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting our HR Department at 303-360-5360 for assistance.
- Minimum six (6) months experience in a retail sales operation, preferably a Museum store
- Minimum six (6) months in a cashier and/or guest experience role
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Experienced with POS systems; working knowledge of Altru (Blackbaud) is highly preferred
- Proven experience with accurate cash handling and register duties
- Knowledge of merchandising and inventory management
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, time management, and multi-tasking abilities
- Positive personality, takes the initiative, and demonstrates exceptional customer service skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and basic computer software applications
- Attention to detail, self-motivated, and capable of working individually or on a team
- Able to multi-task effectively and communicate in noisy, crowded, or stressful environments
- Able to navigate 100,000 sq. ft. of floor space for up to 8 hours in all (cold/hot/wet/humid/dry) conditions
- Must be able to push, pull, squat, and lift 50+ lbs.
- Familiarity with the non-profit mission of Wings Museum including exhibits and programs
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and clean motor vehicle record (MVR)