North Carolina Advanced Energy Corporation (Advanced Energy) is a nonprofit energy consulting firm headquartered on NC State University’s Centennial Campus in Raleigh, NC. We strive to ensure that energy is clean, affordable, reliable, efficient and safe for all people. We work with electric utilities; state, federal and local governments; manufacturers and a variety of public and private partners in five markets: residential, commercial and industrial, motors and drives, renewables and electric transportation.
At Advanced Energy, we know that our organization thrives only when our employees are valued and supported. You will be aided in your career goals and be put in a position to excel. You’ll work on teams that promote idea sharing and challenge you to learn and expand your expertise. You’ll also be encouraged to seek work-life balance, with flexible hybrid schedules and an array of leave options so you can spend time with family and pursue personal interests.
We are also committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our staff is the most valuable resource we have, and we appreciate that our employees come from varied backgrounds, cultures and experiences. By providing a supportive and respectful environment that promotes creativity and collaboration, Advanced Energy makes a lasting, positive difference in all of the work we do.
Benefits – Visit our website for more information and a full list of employee benefits – www.advancedenergy.org.
Advanced Energy provides independent engineering services for utility scale renewable energy resources connected to transmission and distribution systems. We are seeking candidates who are passionate about quality and ensuring the safety and reliability of renewable energy systems interconnected with the grid.
An ideal candidate will have an electrical engineering background and knowledge of the electric power industry and transmission and distribution systems. Candidates seeking a senior level position must have at least seven years of experience, advanced knowledge and have passed the FE exam; it is also strongly preferred to have a PE and other certifications relevant to job duties.
In addition, it is desirable for candidates to possess the following:
- Knowledge of planning, design, interconnection, construction, and commissioning of utility scale renewable generation facilities including inverter-based resources (IBRs) and energy storage systems connecting to transmission and/or medium voltage distribution system
- Experience performing engineering analysis, design documentation review, and/or field testing for electrical systems
- Ability to perform field evaluations to assess aspects of the quality of design, construction, and operation; ability to conduct field tests of electrical equipment
- Experience presenting concise results to customers through reports that delineate observations, results, and recommendations for further action
- Preferred to have knowledge of electrical and utility industry standards such as:
o National Electrical Code (NEC), National Electrical Safety Code (NESC), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
o Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Standards: IEEE 1547-2018 and IEEE 2800-2022
o North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) Reliability Guidelines (2018 and 2019) and standards such as PRC-024-3
o Rural Utility Services (RUS) or investor-owned utility electric distribution construction standards
- Strong commitment to safety and attention to detail
The job requires team members to spend part of their time visiting utility scale renewable facilities currently located primarily in North Carolina and South Carolina. Travel varies week to week and throughout the year. It is typically up to 1-3 days a week with overnight travel sometimes necessary. The rest of the time is balanced between the main office and/or working remotely at a home office.
- Conduct facility reviews and studies or site assessments to locate opportunities for improvements in productivity, quality and efficiency.
- Assess aspects of the quality of design, construction, and operation for energy technologies according to a defined standard; May have input on standard development.
- Perform quality control, recommend solutions, define and interpret the importance of the implementation of corrective measures.
- Perform design reviews including load calculations, energy performance analysis or design documentation.
- Troubleshoot specific complex problems at facilities to improve performance, productivity and customer satisfaction.
- Perform engineering analysis and present concise results to customers.
- Provide hands on assistance in deploying new technologies in the field.
- Help establish equipment selection and measurement tools and techniques.
- Prepare reports and documentation delineating tasks, analysis, test results, and recommendations for further action. May provide engineering stamp on reports
- Create and conduct workshops and presentations.
- Design and develop products and services that take advantage of new knowledge generated by applied research and engineering studies.
- Coordinate applied research studies on a national basis, consulting with other organizations and experts.
- Analyze technology, resource needs, and market demand, to plan and assess the feasibility of projects.
- Acquire data from field/lab instruments and process into useful information.
- Work to establish a demand for further applied research and engineering studies.
- Develop and maintain own technical and professional knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies. Keep up with new technologies being deployed relevant to work.
- Provide technical mentoring for junior staff.
- Recommend improved procedures such as work flow, testing/calibration procedures, etc.
- Develop expertise through targeted development activities and new job experiences.
- Communicate with external clients.
- Exercise problem solving skills and take on new learning while working with customers and other industry professionals.
- Manage or participate on project teams.
- Establish and adhere to project scope, timeline and budget.
- Coordinate and direct projects, making detailed plans to accomplish goals and directing the integration of technical activities.
- Review and recommend product and process designs and changes.
- Develop and maintain client relationships.
- Work to promote business opportunities with both new and repeat clients.
- Clarify and evaluate technical aspects of service requests from customers.
- Consult with clients and make recommendations for project specifications.
- Prepare and recommend proposals, contracts and cost estimates.
- Review and recommend proposals, contracts and cost estimates.
- Present and explain proposals, reports and finding to clients.
- Prepare technical papers and presentations that highlight our capabilities to potential customers.
- Assist in financial management, strategic direction and operation of the team.
- Communicate results of work to team and management.
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department.
- Recommend the purchase of materials or services.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or relevant technical field and 7-9 years of engineering or related technical work experience is required. An equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience may be considered.
- Preferred to have PE and/or other certifications relevant to job duties.
- Problem solving and data interpretation skills; strong written and oral communication skills; ability to work in teams as well as independently; organization, time management and attention to detail; ability to plan and deliver projects; ability to develop and adhere to project budget; commitment to excellent customer service; technical writing and research skills.
- Intermediate skill level of Microsoft Office Products.
Physical Demands/Work Conditions
In this role, the person will hold a valid driver’s license and may travel to interface with customers. Some positions or projects could require occasional travel for periods up to a week. Customer sites may include industrial environments (plants and labs), construction sites, or homes. The individual may have to ascend and descend a ladder or crawl or kneel in small and contained spaces to perform inspections, collect data and/or detect errors. Some customer sites may require work in excessive hot or cold temperatures or exposure to the elements for short periods of time. Must wear personal protective equipment and follow company and/or customer safety protocols.
Employment Type: This is an exempt full-time position. There may be occasions where the hours of work may vary, be irregular, and be reasonably required to meet the goals of the organization. This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive and is subject to change. It is not an implied contract of employment.
Cover letter and resume preferred.
North Carolina Advanced Energy Corporation is headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and provide fair and equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and all other protected statuses under federal, state or local laws. All employment decisions are based on job-related requirements.
All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verification or approval for a medical or religious accommodation is required after an offer is accepted and no later than 1st day of employment. Employees must pass a background check and substance abuse test.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening. You can request reasonable accommodation by sending an email to email@example.com.