Indiana Farmers Insurance is currently looking for a Commercial Lines Underwriter II to join our Underwriting team. The ideal candidate will be local to the Midwest and surrounding states of Indiana.
This position reviews, evaluates and analyzes new risk and coverage, with a focus on profitability, growth and long-term retention. Our underwriters use facts and information to apply rates and determine premiums, specific limits, deductibles, conditions, and endorsements for accounts approved for coverage. The right candidate will collaborate closely with our Field Underwriters as well as inside associates and agents, to understand and explain coverage and analyze risk. As a Commercial Lines Underwriter with Indiana Farmers Insurance, you will help drive informed decision making in support of our vision.
Benefits for the Commercial Lines Underwriter II:
- Free Health insurance
- Free Dental insurance
- Free Vision insurance
- Free Life insurance
- Free Short-Term & Long-Term Disability insurance
- 2% 401k Company Match
- 11% 401k Company Contribution
- Excellent Paid Time Off
- Day of Service
- Charity Match Program
- We promote from within our diverse workforce regularly and offer regular opportunities to learn and grow
- Flexible Work Arrangements that include work locations in the office, hybrid schedules and fully remote. The type of arrangement available is determined by the position and business needs
- Matching funds of up to $100 annually are available from the company for your favorite charitable organization
- Associate recognition awards, fun gatherings, and opportunities to make friends are part of our culture
- An on-site fitness center, as well as free and convenient parking right next to our building make life easier
Qualifications for the Commercial Lines Underwriter II:
- Five years of property casualty experience
- Two years of experience in Commercial Underwriting
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Effective communication skills (both listening and speaking)
- Positive interpersonal skills for collaboration with colleagues, agents, insureds, and other outside contacts
- Excellent time management, organization, and efficiency
- Thorough and detail oriented, with a strong sense of urgency
- Ability to work independently and stay self-motivated
- Solid problem solving and decision-making abilities
- Strong sales acumen with the ability to sell our products and pricing in the face of competition
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable motor vehicle record – Some travel is required in this position
Responsibilities for the Commercial Lines Underwriter II:
- Reviewing new insurance applications, renewals or changes for eligibility and risk acceptance, according to designated premium and authority guidelines
- Analyzing insurance information to determine the appropriate premiums, limits, retention, and coverages for approved risks
- Training and assisting less experienced underwriters, as well as agents, in understanding coverages, analyzing risks, and learning the business in general
- Monitoring and managing retention, growth and profitability of an assigned book of business
- Regularly communicating and occasionally scheduling agency visits to strengthen agency relationships and foster territory growth and profitability
- Working with other territory underwriters to resolve customers’ coverage and underwriting questions, and to resolve their problems
- Working with assigned agents to develop cooperative relationships that foster growth and profitability
Why work for Indiana Farmers Insurance?
- 95% retention of its associates over the last 5 years
- Financially stable as shown by our A (Excellent) rating by AM Best
- Truly customer focused
- A strong legacy of excellent performance throughout our 143 years in business!
For more information about Indiana Farmers, please go to https://insurance.indianafarmers.com/about-us.
Indiana Farmers Insurance is an equal opportunity employer!