U.S. Soccer Overview
We are U.S. Soccer and we are the future of sport in the United States. Our mission is to make soccer the preeminent sport in the United States. We embrace diversity, technology and global connections to drive the growth of our sport and by supporting members, impacting athletes, and serving fans. We seek motivated, passionate, skilled people who can think, create, and work on a team.
U.S. Soccer is a growing company that looks for team members to grow with it. U.S. Soccer offers a comprehensive compensation package, casual work environment, an inclusive culture, and an atmosphere for professional development.
U.S. Soccer oversees a social media community of more than 11 million followers across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube. All social media strategy is ideated and executed out of U.S. Soccer’s headquarters in Chicago, with a team working to create compelling content for fans who follow the U.S. Men’s National Team, Women’s National Team, Youth National Teams, and Extended National Teams. Building awareness and driving support for the Development Academy, Coaching Education and Referee Program is a critical point of emphasis in growing the game at a grassroots level. U.S. Soccer’s social media team draws from a deep-seeded knowledge of the Federation’s goals and a passion for building meaningful relationships with soccer supporters everywhere.
The Social Media Manager will be responsible for the continued evolution of U.S. Soccer's social media platforms through content creation, fan engagement, meticulous organization, and a willingness to push creative boundaries. This person will also be responsible for managing a small team of Social Media Coordinator(s).
• Ideate, develop, edit and post content throughout U.S. Soccer’s ecosystem of social media channels.
• Work closely with Coaching, Referee, High Performance, and Development Academy departments to develop a cohesive social media presence and strategy that highlights the work U.S. Soccer does to grow the sport beyond its national teams.
• Proactively interact with fans across U.S. Soccer social communities by responding to customer service inquiries, joining in relevant conversations, and identifying trends.
• Coordinate with U.S. Soccer’s marketing arm to ensure sponsored content delivers on sell and complies with any platform and sponsor requirements.
• Write succinct, attention-grabbing social copy that promotes engagement and resonates with U.S. Soccer’s diverse audiences unique to each account.
• Cover live events across multiple platforms and create reactionary, in-the-moment content exclusive to social media. Event coverage includes National Team games, Youth National Team games, Development Academy showcases, Open Cup matches, Hall of Fame Inductions, World Cup draws, press conferences, and more.
• Promote inclusivity, conversation and engagement on platforms, while also driving traffic to ussoccer.com.
• Assist in U.S. Soccer influencer program by finding new high-profile fans and ideating ways to activate around big events.
• Conceptualize and execute high-impact campaigns around Federation tent pole events.
• Ideate and assist in the creation of graphics that push the Federation forward in its visual identity while protecting brand guidelines.
• Have and maintain an in-depth knowledge of best practices for each platform’s specific products.
• Build, organize and manage calendars for requested posts and campaigns by various departments throughout the organization.
• Craft day-to-day strategy and generate fresh ideas, while overseeing various aspects of long-term planning.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Professional experience working in the Content Marketing/Social Media industry
• Excellent writing ability and mastery of AP style and soccer terminology
• Familiarity with publishing and updating high-traffic websites in CMS
• Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere)
• Able and willing to travel up to 40% of the year
• Able and willing to work non-traditional hours including evenings and weekends as needed
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or marketing is preferred
• 3-4 years of experience working in the Content Marketing/Social Media industry preferred
Working at U.S. Soccer is a unique opportunity. Employees who work at U.S. Soccer have the following attributes:
• Adopt a company centric approach—Serve the Athlete and the Fan
• Embrace and see learning as a lifelong pursuit
• Possess a growth mindset—keeps an open mind and seeks new challenges
• Practice self-assessment and self-reflection
• Open to criticism and does not make excuses
• Possess a tireless work ethic
• Wants to be part of a team that wins
• Has the ability to be firm but fair
• Communicate in a direct, open and honest manner
• Build relationships through genuine interpersonal skills