Who We Are:
The Capital Area Immigrants’ Rights (CAIR) Coalition is a 501(c)3 organization located in the Washington DC area. CAIR Coalition is the only non-profit organization in the capital region focused exclusively on providing free legal assistance to child and adult immigrants detained by the government in the capital area and beyond. As result of our successful operations, we have experienced continued growth for the last five years and now are looking for our first Director of Finance.
The Director of Finance oversees all aspects of the financial operations of the organization, including interfacing with outside accountants, preparing financial reports, overseeing the annual audit, reporting to the Board of Directors and Finance Committee, working with program officers, and supervising a finance associate. The Director of Finance is responsible for maintaining a comprehensive accounting system that is in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and for providing support to related functions. Currently, CAIR Coalitions has most of these functions outsourced to a financial management firm specializing in nonprofits. The new Director of Finance will be the first full time employee in this role. The Finance Director will report to the Executive Director.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare monthly financial reports which include Statement of Activities, Statement of Financial Position and Statement of Cashflows and provide variance analysis
- Lead the organization’s Finance Team.
- Oversee all accounting functions, including AR, AP and PR
- Responsible for grants and contracts tracking and reporting
- Responsible for monitoring investments and preparing cashflow projections
- Responsible for the general ledger and accuracy of the accounting software
- Lead the annual audit, prepare workpapers and footnotes and act as the main point of contact
- Work with the Executive Director and other members of the leadership team to evaluate funding needs for all programs
- Asses financial operations to identify areas in need of reorganization, expansion, or elimination
- Develop and implement financial and risk management policies to mitigate risk
- Ensure compliance with applicable local, state, and federal funding sources’ regulations and other funding streams.
- Provide staff training in areas of budget development, budget management, fiscal accountability, and financial procedures.
- Ensures compliance with internal policies and procedures
What Else You Should Know:
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Start Date: Winter 2022
$110,000- $115,000 commensurate with experience
This job operates in a hybrid (remote + office) environment. CAIR Coalition has offices in Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, MD.
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 by their first date of hire. To be fully vaccinated means having completed the full dosages required for the type of vaccine obtained as designated by the CDC. If boosters are subsequently recommended by the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) then employees will be required to receive the booster within thirty (30) days of their eligibility to access the boosters.
CAIR coalition’s benefits package includes:
- Free gym access located in Washington, D.C.;
- Flexible working hours after successful completion of trainings and with approval of supervisor;
- Pre-tax commuter benefits for those living in the DMV;
- Subsidized health, dental insurance, and vision subsidized health, dental insurance, and vision insurance (CAIR Coalition pays a very high rate of the insurance package, for which we can provide additional information);
- An annual data reimbursement of $240. Employees hired after July 1 will receive $120 for the remainder of the calendar year.
- Life insurance valued at $50,000, as well as long and short term disability;
- The option to set up a Flexible Spending Account; and
- The option to set up a 403(b) account (the equivalent of a 401(k) account for non-profits) which the organization has the option, for all employees on an annual basis, to match at a certain percentage after one year of continuous employment.
Paid time off includes:
- Staff will accrue 12 days of personal time on January 1 and 11 days on July 1. Staff who are hired after July 1 will receive 11 days of personal time for the remainder of the calendar year.
- Up to 20 days of sick time per calendar year
- 7 hours of volunteer time
- Federal holidays
- Winter break closure
- 12 weeks of parental leave
How to Apply:
Submit your resume and a cover letter that explains your interest in this role your Paylocity application.
Capital Area Immigrants’ Rights (CAIR) Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. CAIR Coalition prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. CAIR Coalition conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting or Finance, or 7+ years of experience in similar roles
- Solid knowledge of GAAP and ASC 958-605
- Cost center accounting experience
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent management and supervisory skills
- Proficient in database and accounting software systems
- Strong Excel skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with QuickBooks Online, ExpenseWire, Bill.com, ClickTime, and/or Paylocity is a plus.