The Acquisitions & Capital Team Intern positions will give interns the opportunity to work on a well-established team with more than 35 years of operational excellence. Interns will develop multi-family and commercial underwriting skills, learn the due diligence process, and review financial and operating elements of potential and existing real estate holdings. Interns will have significant exposure to acquisitions, asset management, and fundraising. Interns will make recommendations about real estate acquisitions and provide long and short-term operating forecasts. Interns will also be exposed to the equity raising process and will help prepare investor communication materials.
· Strong communication and business writing skills
· Strong financial, mathematical and financial analysis skills
· Strong sense of self-motivation and direction; the ability to work independently and seek out projects
· Excellent attention to detail
· Strong experience with Microsoft Excel
· Ability to learn financial software packages quickly
· Good judgment, ethical, and professional
· Ability to work successfully both as part of a team and in an independent manner.
· Ability to work well under pressure
· Working knowledge of Argus is preferred
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Multifamily and commercial underwriting utilizing Argus and Excel.
· Conduct market and demographic research, including rental rates, income and expense growth rates, comparable sales, vacancy, tenant allowance and leasing commissions.
· Provide detailed and accurate analysis of property financial data.
· Prepare and present data to MLG staff, both formally and informally.
· Perform due diligence on potential investment properties
· Read and abstract leases.
· Site visits to current and potential properties.
· Canvas real estate markets in which MLG is active for potential investment properties.
· Contact current property owners to determine their interest in sale opportunities.
· Assist in the preparation of letters of intent and closing statements.
· Expanding database of local real estate owners and brokerage contacts.
· Preparing private equity and investor marketing campaigns.
· Prepare real estate investment offerings for investors, including writing copy, organizing and assembling the contributions of others.
· Researching investor information and preparing investor packages
Reporting Relationship: Interns will report to Associates, AVPs and VPs. Due to the relatively small size of the MLG Capital team, interns will have significant exposure to the Key Principals and the CEO.
To be considered for the 2023 Summer Analyst Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
· Candidates must be enrolled as an undergraduate student and pursuing a degree in Accounting, Finance or Real Estate. Degrees in Marketing, Information Systems, or Data Sciences will be considered.
· Anticipated graduation date: Fall 2023 – Spring 2024
· Resume must include expected graduation month/year and cumulative GPA
· Candidates must have a 3.5 GPA or higher
Candidates must have at least six months of finance and/or real estate related classroom experience, along with strong college academic performance (3.50 minimum GPA). Ideal candidates will have past real estate related experience, although not required.
Ability to operate office machinery; including but not limited to: telephone, computer, copy machine, fax machine, printer, and mobile phone. Ability to sit for extended periods (up to 4 hours) and use a computer for up to 8 hours per day. Ability to lift up to 10 pounds on an occasional basis. Ability to travel 5-10% of the time via automobile or airplane (occasionally overnight) to real estate locations.
Open office workstation environment, moderate to quiet noise levels.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin or any other category protected by law.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, a “reasonable accommodation” will be made for an individual with a known physical or mental limitation unless it would require an action of significant difficult causing undue hardship.
This document covers the most significant duties performed but does not exclude other occasional work assignments not mentioned.