PROGRAM SUMMARY: Easterseals Academy is a therapeutic school that provides schooling for children with an autism spectrum disorder, emotional disability, developmental delay or intellectual disability. School districts refer students to Easterseals Academy where the schools provide an alternative school placement for these students to help them to achieve independence. Easterseals Academy has three campuses, located in Chicago, Machesney Park and Tinley Park.
POSITION LOCATION: This position is located at the Easterseals Academy - Chicago Campus at 1939 W. 13th Street, Chicago 60608.
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides developmentally appropriate direct adapted physical education services to students including assessment, program organization, implementation and evaluation; utilize a variety of evidence based instructional techniques aligned to students’ needs and abilities. Develop adapted physical education goals for students and classrooms. Participate on a variety of school committees, including but not limited to Special Olympics, Hoops for Autism and Field Days.
- Provides direct instruction in adaptive physical education to individuals with a variety of developmental disabilities.
- Provides motor and fitness evaluations for individuals served.
- Provides requested reports on individuals served (mid-year, end-of-year, or as determined by administrative team).
- Attends IEP pre-conferences and annual reviews when determined necessary.
- Collaborates with the instructional staff, parents/guardians, and a variety of community stakeholders for the purpose of improving the overall quality of life for individuals served.
- Develops individualized programming for the purpose of improving individuals’ motor skills.
- Identifies, inventories, and maintains the specialized equipment required for program implementation.
- Directs instructional assistants for the purpose of providing an effective physical education program and addressing the needs of individuals.
- Manages behavioral needs for the purpose of providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
- Participates in a variety of required or self-identified professional development opportunities, including in-service trainings, conferences, and workshops.
- Participates in developing curricular materials, sequencing the curriculum map, and identifying course offerings from adaptive P.E. perspective.
- Makes recommendations regarding safety of individuals with their participation in adaptive P.E. and motor activities.
- Serves as liaison and coordinates interschool athletic events (i.e., Hoops for Autism, Field Days).
- Collaborates with colleagues and parents/guardians in order to share information and expertise to plan and implement effective programming.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Current Illinois Certified Teacher with PE and Special Education Endorsement set by the State Board of Education and Illinois School Code.
- Experience working with children and adolescents with special needs.
- Health-related fitness.
- Child and Adolescent development.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Auto insurance.
- Reliable vehicle.
- Proficient Communication skills.
- Proficient in autism-specific Evidenced Based Practices.
- Effective Collaboration and Problem-solving skills.
- Engages in Continuous Professional Improvement.
ADA: Easterseals will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disability Act of 1990. Unless exempted by the Americans with Disabilities Act, all persons hired for this position are required to possess the ability to perform the physical tasks necessary to treat clients, i.e., bending, floor-sitting, etc., as well as to have the ability to lift up to 50 pounds frequently.