Who is the Chicago Sun-Times?
The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicagoans with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, Chicago Sun-Times Media, Inc. (CSTM) is now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism that is deeply connected to Chicago communities.
An Opportunity to Make an Impact
We believe independent journalism is essential to a well-functioning democracy and access to fact-based, objective news and information is a right of every citizen. We serve the public interest by creating diverse, compelling content that informs, inspires, and enriches. A big part of our editorial strategy will be to build community and take an empathetic, people-first approach to news in the Chicago area. This includes bringing more voices into our coverage, telling more stories about regular people, and adding more service and solutions journalism. We believe a new morning newsletter offers an opportunity to signal this direction to our readers.
We are seeking an experienced newsletter reporter to join our growing newsroom. We are looking for someone experienced and passionate enough to make this newsletter their own and to handle the “soup-to-nuts” production of this daily email newsletter. The ideal candidate will be creative enough to try different things; analytical enough to iterate the approach based on audience data, and empathetic enough to solicit and respond to audience feedback.
- Audience- and community-minded, and able to engage readers across the Chicago area around a wide range of topics -- and attract reader feedback and participation –- while creating a compelling and inclusive tone or environment with their language and perspective/angles
- Highly collaborative; capable of working independently to get the newsletter done each day but able to solicit participation and engagement from the CST and WBEZ teams (and potentially beyond) to gather stories, input, and cross-functional feedback
- A good teammate who can contribute to the overall audience strategy
- Deadline-oriented, with excellent news judgment
- Data-led; capable of interpreting audience data, contextualized with qualitative feedback solicited from engaged newsletter audience members, and spinning it into action to constantly improve the newsletter
- Able to find and select art or other assets, determining which formats and elements are most valuable to different pieces
- Organized and process-oriented; able to develop a smooth, efficient and successful process to get the newsletter out faithfully to meet readers’ morning information needs; and to plan guest writers and substitutes when needed
- Strong communication and project management skills
- Interested in, and capable of, sharing best practices and lessons across the audience team and organization
- A minimum of 2 or more years of experience as a newsletter reporter is highly preferred
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communication, or a related field
- Capable of producing accurate and factual stories within deadline
- Ability to collaborate with reporters and editors on stories
- Ability to juggle multiple stories while working on longer pieces
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and some holidays
What We Offer
- A competitive salary and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, retirement savings, FSA plan including a commuter benefits plan
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture
- A flexible work schedule
- Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand!
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice. This role does not offer sponsorship employment benefits.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis which would violate any applicable federal, state, or local law.