Department: Human Resources
Supervisor: HR Director
The Benefits Administrator coordinates and administers the employee compensation and benefits programs at SERA. The role is specifically responsible for the day-to-day questions about benefits programs (group health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, flexible spending plan, retirement plans, etc.). This position provides excellent customer service and assists in the design of quality benefits plans. The administrator researches new approaches to compensation and benefits and makes recommendations for enhancements or improvements to keep the organization’s plans competitive and effective.
SERA is a firm of learners, eager to advance the resilient and equitable outcomes we want to see for our communities and the planet. Our 100% employee-owned firm promotes a collaborative environment where every staff member’s unique strengths and contributions are valued. Sustainability, urbanism, and community-building are intrinsic to the ways we think and work. We’re not afraid of the gnarly problems that come with this territory; in fact, some of our favorite workdays wrap up around the kegerator passionately hashing out the next, better idea.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Coordinates and administers medical, dental, vision, cobra, disability, life insurance, and 401(k) programs to effectively support employees and to ensure benefits are properly administered.
2. Advises and informs employees of changes related to benefits including eligibility, coverage, and provisions.
3. Updates HRIS and benefit systems with new enrollments and changes.
4. Facilitates accurate and timely delivery of employer contributions and employee payroll deductions to carriers, plan administrators, or other appropriate service providers.
5. Assist with administering company’s wellness program and incentives which may include the coordination of employee events (Flu Shot Clinics, etc.).
6. Participates in the Open Enrollment process.?
7. Interprets and advises employees on benefit changes that impact coverage.
8. Compiles compensation data for various salary survey participation.
9. Prepares all salary reviews including merit increases, off-cycle adjustments, and promotions.
10. Audits pay and salary information for accuracy.
11. Generates HRIS reports on compensation trends by studio/department.
12. Support the continuous development and implementation of compensation policies, best practices, and process improvements – level of responsibility.
13. Ensures all employee benefit plan information is current and accessible.
14. Ensures timely completion of annual compliance testing and reporting 5500.
15. Assist the HR Director in ensuring benefits plan administration complies to applicable laws (e.g. HIPAA, ERISA).
16. Completes records, reporting, and other documentation required by federal, state, and provider rules, regulations, and policies.
17. May participate in identifying and selecting carriers and plans based on quotes, available benefits, and prior experience.
18. Assists with maintenance and tracking all appropriate documentation for compensation and benefits compliance reporting.
19. Assists in administering leave of absences, ensuring compliance with state and federal laws.
20. Assists in developing and conducting employee communication and education programs.
21. Maintains knowledge of trends, developments, and best practices in compensation and benefits administration.
1. Initial point-of-contact for day-to-day HR-related employee requests.
2. Assist with FLSA reviews, questions, and research.
3. Prepares employee communications and correspondence.
4. Assists with maintenance of employee information and documentation.
5. May assist with maintenance/updating job descriptions associated with new roles and review outcomes.
6. Audits and maintains updated personnel, benefit, and payroll documentation. Ensuring that files and records are maintained in accordance with legal requirements and SERA’s policies and procedures.
7. Assists with processing and maintenance of payroll records as needed.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Education + Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business, Finance, or related required.
· 3 to 5 years of experience administering compensation or benefits programs required.
· Experience in the architectural field preferred.
· Knowledge of COBRA, HIPAA, and ERISA requirements.
· Experience administering compensation or benefits programs required.
· SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP preferred.
· Formal/informal training related to conflict resolution and/or effective communication, preferred.
· Experience with Paylocity for payroll processing, preferred.
What you'll bring:
· Ability to apply professionalism and discretion in handling confidential information.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Takes initiative and can work independently.
· Action-oriented, approachable, and customer-focused attitude.
· Professional verbal and written communication skills.
· Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
· Adept at planning, organizing, and process management.
· Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines under pressure as well as manage multiple priorities.
· Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
· Ability to work overtime during peak periods and/or short notice.
COVID-19 considerations: Proof of COVID-19 Vaccine (required)
SERA Architects Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer