The Pre-Construction Manager is a vital part of the Development Team and will work with members of both the Real Estate and Construction functions to efficiently secure Entitlements and Permits. In addition to working with the internal team, the Pre-Construction Manager will also work cross-functionally with a diverse group of outside stakeholders like developers, landlords, architects, engineers, and representatives of multiple municipal and private agencies. This position will be responsible for expediting all projects through the entitlement and permitting phase and turning over fully permitted plans to the construction team ready to build. This position will also be responsible to complete site investigation reports and, helping in studying feasibility in a timely manner. The ideal candidate will be a strong communicator, able to learn our key company information that is needed to procure all approvals, and comfortable and confident with presenting projects to neighborhood groups, city departments, and officials as well. This candidate must also be comfortable in clearly communicating the project goals early on when there may not be a completed design or full set of plans. The ability to work fast and efficiently is a must. Must also be comfortable working under tight deadlines.
The perfect candidate: Needs to be an expert in their field and have multiple demonstrable years’ experience expediting the submittal of project documents for review, managing processes, and obtaining all government and utility approvals for new construction. The ability to lead and orchestrate effective project planning and communication with both internal and external teams with varying levels of development experience is required. This candidate will be able to demonstrate how they set up project schedules, organize both internal and external teams of consultants, provide high-level budgets and successfully align all tasks with the overall project and team
goals. The right candidate will be able to work in a fast-paced environment and consistently manage stakeholder expectations with a high level of organization and attention to detail.
The Pre-Construction Manager must have vast experience in effective communication with city departments or officials and in the official presentation of projects during public hearings. The ability to hold municipalities and utility providers accountable is a requirement.
• Communicate effectively to overcome technical and non-technical obstacles.
• Develop and lead the collaborative pre-construction processes for multiple projects at one time.
• Manage projects and effectively influence, negotiate, and communicate with business partners including landlords, real estate managers, construction managers, architects & engineers, and internal design team members.
• Evaluate site feasibility specific to the use.
• Research and prepare detailed preliminary fee schedules for each project.
• Responsible to coordinate with internal team members to achieve or best contractual timelines for permitting of projects. Review and communicate design intent to internal and external team members.
• Establish rapport with each municipality and know their timelines for each permitting
• Be prepared to periodically report project timelines, schedules, and challenges.
• Effectively communicate project challenges with the appropriate team members to achieve quick and accurate solutions.
• Travel to all cities in the southwest United States where entitlements or permits are in process.
7+ years of experience in retail construction management, specific to entitlements and permitting. • Have strong pre-construction and project management experience in multiple building types and locations. • Experience working with real estate and construction team members to achieve project and team goals. • Research and translate information into useful formats for review by decision makers. • Ability to meet tight deadlines and prioritize workloads. • Manages high-level meetings and discussions. • Experience in negotiating commercial contracts, master agreements, work letters, and other construction agreements.
• Familiarity with business process documentation and improvement • Experience with public presentations • Able to take on special projects as directed. • Strong organizational skills and business acumen • Self-motivated and driven. • Able to work both independently and collaboratively within a team. • Construction Management, Real Estate Development, or similar education focus. • Experience with real estate, project, and portfolio management tools