Avesta Housing is a nonprofit affordable housing provider with over 50 years of experience as a leader in affordable housing development and property management in southern Maine and New Hampshire. We have a mission to improve lives and strengthen communities by promoting and providing quality affordable homes for people in need.
POSITION SUMMARY: Perform general accounting functions to assist Accounting team.
- Process accounts receivable via remote deposit capture and in person at various banking institutions.
- Prepare and process journal entries, as required.
- Reconcile bank accounts and post interest accordingly.
- Maintain financial filing system.
- Process vendor invoices within established timeframe, ensuring proper supporting documentation is on file.
- Sort electronic invoices, research vendor statements, and resolve issues with vendors.
- Coordinate and communicate with Property Management and Accounting Specialists to ensure optimal financial performance of properties.
- Maintain resident confidentiality.
- Provide backup assistance to Accounting Specialists as needed.
- Assist with audit requests.
- Participate on committees as assigned
- Must value and foster an environment that ensures respect, support and safety for all members of the Avesta community, and actively promote the expansion of ideas, perspectives, and understanding that comes from having a diverse and inclusive community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College Degree preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles preferred.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to organize work and work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong technology skills and the ability to learn new applications.
- Ability to set and reset priorities as business needs shift.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Experience using MS Office, including Excel, Outlook, and Word preferred.
Benefits: Excellent benefits package including employer-paid health, dental, vision, 401(k) with immediate vested match, flexible spending and dependent care accounts, life, long and short term disability, paid holidays, paid parental leave, and generous earned time. Excellent working environment.