Job Description - Buffing
Description:*MDC Precision* is a world leader in delivering high-quality products to the research, semiconductor, aerospace, life sciences, and food processing sectors.
Our customers rely on us to provide the precision components that are required for the operation at the atomic scale. We enable innovation by bringing our expertise in vacuum science, ultrapure and ultra-hygienic materials fabrication, ceramic-to-metal sealing along with our design and manufacturing partnerships- all to enable science to change the world for the better.
Function & Responsibility
Tends multiple machine tools, special purpose machines, or industrial robots to machine high vacuum components to specifications on a production basis.
Possess a proven knowledge of machining practices, measurement and evaluation skills, and tooling applications
Lifts workpiece manually or using hoist and secures workpiece in fixture or loads automatic feeding device
Starts machine, engages feed and observes operation
Inspects and measures machined workpieces to verify conformance to specifications
Moves machine controls and guides to adjust the machine
Replaces worn machine accessories such as cutting tools or brushes
Adds coolant to machine reservoir and turns valve to start the flow of coolant
Files, buffers, sands, grinds, or shapes machined parts
Uses Scotch Brite to polish metal parts
Cleans machined parts
Tends machines and equipment other than machine tools
Handles critical surfaces and is capable of working with at least 16 RA surface finish or better
Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide into all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations
- Ability to work with team members
- Ability to take direction from supervisor
- Ability to keep required job schedules
- Ability to focus attention on details
High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
5-7 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience with proven ability to operate onsite machinery
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk; climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to the risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.