Position Title: Bereavement Counselor
General Statement of Duties: Reporting to the Manager of Bereavement Services, provides bereavement support services to patients and families of Coastal Hospice and members of the community.
1. Appropriately assesses bereavement needs, which requires an understanding of definitions and principles of bereavement, loss, grief and mourning.
2. In collaboration with the Interdisciplinary Group, develops and updates bereavement care plans for assigned patients and families, ensuring that the plan of care addresses their bereavement needs.
3. Evaluates the effectiveness of interventions, adapting the plan of care accordingly.
4. Conducts the post-death assessment within the prescribed time frame.
5. Addresses high risk needs which may incorporate referral to outside agencies and professionals as needed.
6. Demonstrates timely, accurate and appropriate documentation of bereavement contacts according to Coastal Hospice policy and procedure.
7. Educates bereaved on the grief process and develops coping tools unique to each individual.
8. Utilizes community resources to enhance bereavement services.
9. Facilitates support groups and bereavement events as assigned.
10. Serves as a clinical resource to bereaved volunteers and staff.
1. Experience and education related to care of the bereaved with Bachelor’s Degree in social work or related field required. Master’s preferred.
2. Prior experience demonstrates ability in family and individual counseling and group facilitation.
3. Sensitivity to the particular needs of those in grief.