- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive and competitive benefit package including health, dental, vision and 401K.
- Company culture that emphasizes people first mentality and maintaining a healthy work life balance.
- Great and modern work environment.
- Empowering and supportive management.
August 24, 2022
Financial Planning & Analysis
Manage and maintain accounting controls
Gun Lake Investments (“GLI”) is an Economic Development Corporation, wholly owned by the Gun Lake Tribe and based in west Michigan. This forward-thinking entity invests in non-gaming investment opportunities that enhance the Tribal economy, as well as that of the broader community, while providing financial diversification for the Tribe. There is an element of our work that values non-financial priorities, such as job creation and serving as a strong community partner, generating financial returns, through developing a portfolio of both active and passive investments is our primary focus.
GLI is seeking a Controller to focus on GLI’s internal financial planning, analysis, reporting, accounting, and finance activities. The ideal candidate will exhibit an energetic, entrepreneurial and ‘utility’ spirit for our small but growing team. They will play an influential role leading the firm’s reporting and compliance functions in accounting and finance. Their duties will consist of weekly and monthly activities to maintain financial records, producing financial reports and ad hoc analysis to support the team. Other important duties include year-end reporting, annual budget preparation, ensuring tax compliance, leading GLI’s annual audit, managing payroll, and maintaining strong relationships with strategic partners, service providers and portfolio business leaders.
This position will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and will assist with various activities of the organization, assisting GLI with achieving it goals, while promoting GLI’s “People First” culture. They will play an important role with the development of corporate strategy to ensure that corporate vision is connected to accounting and finance execution. They will protect the reputation of GLI and the potential effects GLI may have on our broader Tribal community.
This position will be an integral component of GLI’s growth and strategy execution. It will be necessary to immediately contribute to the organization; thus, candidates should have direct experience with the core functions of this position. The ideal candidate must have a history of personal growth within a demanding and growing organization, ideally within a Family Office, Private Investment Firm, or a Tribally owned enterprise. There will be a heavy emphasis placed on possessing broad business knowledge and experience, strategy execution, business planning, and financial reporting. The ideal candidate will have gained experience within a middle market or large corporate organization that has a desire to provide impact within a values-led, entrepreneurial, and team-based organization. A Bachelor’s in accounting is required, combined with at least 10 years of experience. Additional preference will be provided for a master’s degree.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Ten years of successful experience directly related to tasks and responsibilities
- Extensive knowledge of GAAP, regulatory accounting & reporting requirements, and internal control objectives; experience within investment portfolio environment preferred
- Proven knowledge and experience in financial planning and analysis and business process improvements; willingness to roll up your sleeves
- Expertise in Lender Compliance reporting, covenant reporting, and financial analysis
- Proven experience building, developing, and mentoring a high performing professional accounting team
- Excellent communicator, with the ability to communicate complex concepts and risk factors to stakeholders and influence decision making
- Experience with QuickBooks accounting software suite of products
- Strong computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 applications
- Demonstrated ability to developing and foster relationships with the company’s centralized teams and external service providers
- Maintain a positive, entrepreneurial attitude that is aligned with core values
- Excellent verbal, written communication, and presentation skills
- Ability to problem solve and work with minimal supervision
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Previous experience with Tasks & Responsibilities
- Ability to meet the requirements listed under “Working Conditions and Physical Requirements”
- Master’s degree in Accounting
- CPA certified
- Mergers and Acquisition transaction and integration experience
- Experience with family investment office/enterprise, or tribally owned non-gaming business
- Comprehension of corporate and family enterprise governance systems and best practices
- Experience with Minority/native-owned designations including SBA(8a) certifications
- Experience with DCAA compliance and government contracting
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Promote GLI’s “People First” culture and core values
- Lead and manage all aspects of our accounting function including general accounting, technical accounting, tax, and compliance
- Oversee the accounting process for accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and compliance
- Oversee and own the monthly, quarterly, and year-end close processes including detailed analysis and reconciliation of all general ledger accounts and preparation of financial statements in accordance with U.S. GAAP
- Manage our annual financial audit
- Oversee preparation of any applicable annual federal and state income tax returns and other tax compliance filings
- Prepare 1099’s and oversee any subsidiaries’ SEC, sales tax, and property tax requirements
- Provide support for the annual budgeting and planning process
- Work with the team on monthly forecast against budget including cash flow projections
- Track and report key organizational metrics related to the financial and operational performance of the firm; Analyze actual results and trends versus budget/forecast/prior year
- Provide supporting due diligence roles in various activities to our investment team
- Assist with accounting integration for new investments
- Serve as accounting liaison between GLI and portfolio companies
- Maintain values, strategy, and alignment between portfolio investments and GLI
- Perform various accounts payable and accounts receivable related functions
- Assist with the preparation of subsidiary financial statements and annual budgets
- As part of GLI’s monitoring of subsidiaries, this role will ensure separation of duties by preforming bank and balance sheet reconciliations and reasonableness checks
- Produce process narratives and flow charts to identify risks and control deficiencies
- Organize and maintain accounting and legal records and contracts for investments
- Assist in planning accounting and tax transactions for new investments and calculate accounting for lease accounting, joint venture, intercompany transactions
- Assist with special projects and other duties as assigned.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Must be able and willing to work within both an office environment and within GLI’s operating subsidiaries. This position will require working hours outside a typical workday.
- Position requires bending, standing, walking and repetitive use of hands and arms the entire workday.
- Must be able to lift 10 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Must be able to work a minimum of 40 hours per week; sporadically, work hours may reach 50-55 hours during busy periods.
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must manage multiple projects at one time and handle frequent interruptions.
Native American Preference:
GLI follows Native American Preference in accordance with Chapter 2, § 2 of the Gun Lake Labor and Employment Rights Ordinance. GLI will therefore give preference in employment decisions to those enrolled Gun Lake Tribal Citizens; spouses, parents, or grandparents of a Tribal Citizen; and enrolled citizens of another federally-recognized Indian tribe who meet the essential qualifications listed in this job description. If you meet one of these preference categories, please indicate so in your cover letter.
If you are a great fit for this team and are interested in discussing this opportunity further, please submit the following:
· Cover Letter