Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) is a 501(c)(3) serving as the fiscal and administrative agent of the Mayor’s Workforce Development Board (MWDB), which is the local Workforce Investment Board (WIB). DESC is also the MichiganWorks! Agency for Detroit. ?In concert with the Mayor’s Office of Workforce Development, DESC is the implementation and operations partner for the City’s workforce strategy.
The Community Health Corps (CHC) focuses on tackling poverty through an intense, restorative case management model. CHC staff connect vulnerable residents to the appropriate social services provided by government and nonprofits. Service connections include but are not limited to; food security assistance, rental assistance, behavioral health and home repair services. As the CHC grows and enhances its service model and processes, the team has a need for expertise and leadership in home repair inspection services and managing a multi-organizational home repair workgroup. We are looking for an individual passionate about helping City of Detroit residents, the CHC leadership and the programmatic team to make the necessary home repairs that increase quality of living and maintains residence in the City of Detroit.
This position reports directly to the CHC’s Executive Director and will work closely with a dynamic team of CHC employees, City of Detroit residents, and partners such as BSEED inspection team, Water and Sewage Department, Housing and Revitalization Department, Mayor’s Office, and other external partner organizations.
In the early stages of this work, emphasis will be placed on streamlining and improving communication to home repair clients by providing property inspection, scope of work explanation to residents, validating the accuracy of repair quotes received from contractors, and managing client satisfaction throughout the process. The CHC understands the impact poor housing conditions has on other social determinant of health outcomes. Duties in the initial stages of work will include:
- Working closely with the Supportive Service Coordinator to understand Home Repair Request for Quotes received from the CHC’s Case Management Teams and manage two-way communication.
- Providing initial walkthroughs of occupied single-family and multifamily residential dwellings for inspection, to determine if the property meets required Federal, State and local housing quality standards, HUD habitable dwellings requirements and document home repair needs.
- Perform cost estimates for identified home repair needs based on pre-established contractual pricing.
- Create a scope of work for repair needs and work with the Supportive Services Coordinator to assign the contractor(s) to quote/confirm cost of repair services. Those services are but not limited to - electrical systems, roofing, HVAC systems, plumbing systems, structural components, and residential code updates.
- Review, approve and/or reject contactor service quotes, contractor notice(s) to proceed, contractor change orders and invoices.
- Discuss Community Health Corps home repair process with homeowners, answer questions and maintain at minimum weekly communication.
- Manage the contractor(s) to ensure accurate flow of information between the homeowner and the home repair service provider.
- Responsible for handling escalated homeowner, contractor and BSEED Inspector questions, complaints or issues.
- Responsible for conducting frequent visits to active construction sites for all Community Health Corps projects to ensure the assigned contractor’s staff onsite are properly licensed, work is meeting quality standards/field protocols and to address questions, issues or concerns from the contractor or homeowner.
- Monitor and evaluate ongoing projects for conformance with contract requirements, effectiveness, and timeliness.
- Liaises with the City of Detroit Building, Safety, Environment and Engineering Department (BSEED) Inspectors to ensure the proper permits are pulled and assist homeowners in receiving timely inspection of home repairs provided through the Community Health Corps.
- Manage request and service for any subsequent warranty work.
- Work collaboratively with the data team to build dashboards for tracking investment per district, projects per service category, performance, and progress.
- Assist with the qualified contractor RFP’s and contract process.
- Managing the coordination of CHC related projects with the multi-organizational home repair workgroup consisting of several home repair assistance programs.
- Attend meetings with government agencies, non-profits, businesses, and community groups as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; preferred - Bachelor’s Degree from accredited college or university with major course of work in Construction Management, Engineering Business Administration, or closely related field.
- State of Michigan current license required in one or multiple construction disciplines (electrical, plumbing, and residential building) – Residential Builders License strongly preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 3 - 5 years of experience in residential construction on projects specifically in the City of Detroit.
- Experience with cost estimating residential construction projects.
- Preferred but not required certification by the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI).
- At least 5 years of work experience with a home inspection or construction company.
- Must have working knowledge of basic home systems including plumbing, HVAC units, electrical, and residential structural components.
- Comfortable walking on roofs and climbing in confined spaces, such as attics or crawl spaces.
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to travel by car.
- Attention to detail is critical in the role for both inspections and for reporting purposes. Excellent organizational skills and multitasking skills.
- Proficient in computer skills, such as sending emails, working with case management applications, and documenting reports.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and customer service skills are a must.
- A successful candidate will possess the following skills – technical, communication, customer service, problem solving and organizational skills.
- DESC offers a comprehensive benefits package and ongoing professional development opportunities, and more.
- This position is contingent upon the availability of the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding and/or program needs.
Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within our organization. DESC actively seeks applications from women, persons of color, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and other underrepresented group.