Human Resources Manager
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports To: Vice President of Human Resources
Compensation: $60,000 - $80,000 annually
HIRING BONUS: All new employees will receive a $3,000 hiring bonus!
The Northside Achievement Zone (NAZ) is a bold and innovative collaborative effort to close the achievement gap in the geographic “Zone” of North Minneapolis. The purpose of our work is to end multigenerational poverty in our community, using education as a lever. We use a data-driven, evidence-based, achievement-focused model in which both children and their families move through a “cradle-to-career” ecosystem that provides comprehensive support. NAZ is a leading initiative in the national Promise Neighborhoods and cradle to college/career movement. As NAZ learns what works with families in North Minneapolis to address complex issues related to urban poverty, strategies are being set up for replication and informing the regional, state, and national field.
The Human Resources Manager is responsible for administering the day-to-day functions of the HR department including but not limited to payroll, benefit administration, hiring and onboarding, employee relations, leaves and special projects.
- Administer Payroll and ensure fidelity of all deductions and additions, as well as compliance with payroll laws, policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Performs routine and administrative tasks including but not limited to: employee changes, new hire processing, filing, reporting, performance and talent management, training and development, and occupational health and safety, as well as performing other related HR projects as assigned.
- Serve as the first point of contact for the Human Resources department supporting employee and vendor concerns and questions.
- Facilitate the hiring of qualified applicants for open position, collaborate with hiring managers to recruit, interview, and onboard new employees.
- Conducts and acquires background checks, employee eligibility verifications, and professional reference checks.
- Implements new hire orientation and employee recognition programs.
- Maintain knowledge of legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resource functions and ensure policies, procedures, and reporting are in compliance. Reviews, tracks, and documents compliance with mandatory and non-mandatory training requirements.
- Assist in performance review programs to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within the organization.
- Administration of organizational benefits programs including new hire enrollment, changes, open enrollment administration, and general employee assistant with questions or concerns. Administers benefit programs such as life, health, dental and disability insurance, retirement plan, paid time off, leave of absence and employee assistance.
- Conducts and participates in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
- Maintain the HRIS system to ensure integrity of data and ability to use by management and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA degree in Human Resources or Business Management, or a closely related field.
- A minimum of three to five years related full time professional HR work experience in an organization of similar size.
- Experience with HRIS and Payroll systems.
- PHR certification.
- Experience working in a community-based non-profit.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Effective oral and written communications and presentation skills are essential, as are interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of HR laws and pending legislation is necessary.
- Operational knowledge of payroll policies, regulations and procedures.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professionalism is required in order to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive issues.
- Ability to work with a high level of proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with a variety of people and groups and to represent NAZ effectively.
- The ability to gather and analyze statistical data and generate reports.
- The ability to work with frequent, established deadlines is required.
- Commitment to the expectation that children growing up in North Minneapolis can succeed in academics and college.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- This is a hybrid role, the individual will complete a portion of their work onsite at the NAZ facility located in North Minneapolis, MN 55411.
- Work includes frequent walking up and down stairs, lifting, sitting, and bending.
- Regular operation of normal office machines (computer, copier, and fax) is required.
- There are occasional evenings and weekends required.
- Limited travel may be required.
- Vaccine Requirement: NAZ requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be made with Human Resources upon hire.