Who is the Chicago Sun-Times?
The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicagoans with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, Chicago Sun-Times Media, Inc. (CSTM) is now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism that is deeply connected to Chicago communities.
The eCRM and Marketing Automation Manager oversees email marketing, automation, template production, data management and digital mapping for increased engagement and donor relationships across Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Public Media. The role will leverage segment data to increase digital engagement and convert local audiences to membership while building additional sources of revenue.
The ideal candidate has email automation and lifecycle management experience focused on acquisition, engagement and retention. This role reports to the Director, Digital Engagement Strategy, and will be part of a small cross-functional team supporting the launch and growth of a new membership program.
- Leverage prior hands-on experience with email service providers (Campaign Monitor/Salesforce Marketing Cloud preferred) platforms to drive implementation of best practices and adoption of system capabilities across the Chicago Sun-Times and WBEZ membership teams.
- Responsible for planning, supporting & delivering CPM’s multi-channel marketing campaigns including email, SMS, and Facebook advertising
- Work with Data Architect to support data collection process so that data is integrated and actionable for email campaigns
- Identify additional audience segments based on engagement and membership data for revenue opportunities
- Design and implement email marketing campaigns ensuring a mobile-first experience
- Create and test email templates using personalization and advanced data features for deeper engagement
- Analyze campaign performance, run email A/B tests and suggest improvements for optimization
- Proven results in supporting and building a data-driven eCRM program with an emphasis on list building and revenue generation
- 5+ years experience in email automation, digital marketing, or related field (Salesforce Marketing Cloud and Campaign Monitor preferred)
- Hands-on experience with HTML and content management systems
- Excellent written communication skills and strong data analytics
- Ensure emails follow industry policies and best practices
- Knowledge of CRM (Salesforce preferred), SMS, ESPs, Google Analytics
- Strong project management skills
What We Offer
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture
- A flexible hybrid work schedule
- Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand!
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice. This role does not offer sponsorship employment benefits.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis which would violate any applicable federal, state, or local law.