Pacific BioLabs (PBL) is an independent Contract Research Laboratory offering cGMP/GLP testing services in animal sciences, biocompatibility, medical device safety, analytical chemistry, and microbiology. Founded in 1982, PBL is beginning a new chapter, applying significant investment and energy towards modernizing workflows, upgrading facilities and most importantly, enhancing our employee experience. We are looking for talented, energetic scientists and professionals to share in our passion for our mission to enhance public health through the testing services we provide to our pharma, biotech and medical device clients. If you are up for a challenge, come join our team!
PBL has an immediate opportunity for an In Vitro Scientist in the newly launched In Vitro/Cellular Sciences team. The In Vitro Scientist will play a key role in the execution and analysis of in vitro cellular assays in support of non-clinical, GLP, and cGMP studies for PBL clients. This position will work closely with scientists within the In Vitro Services team and collaboratively with scientists in other the In Vivo, Analytical/Bioanalytical, and Microbiology Services departments. The ideal candidate will be self-driven, eager to learn new techniques, and highly organized.
The successful In Vitro Scientist will:
- Leverage their significant experience building and working with in vitro/cell-based models to expand PBL service offerings.
- Work independently and in collaboration with other scientists in the company to identify, design, validate, and qualify cellular assays in support of client needs.
- Work with a diverse range of cell-based models, including primary and immortal mammalian cells, transfected cell lines, over-expressing cell lines, etc.
- Regularly apply a broad range of approaches such as stable/transient transfections, protein/target expression and characterization, and downstream signaling or functional pathway endpoints.
- Develop and implement new techniques and procedures within the In Vitro Services Department in support of client testing needs.
- Possess strong collaborative, written and verbal communication skills for both internal and client-based discussions/projects.
- Serve as a resource to clients for experimental, scientific, and regulatory expertise related to specific studies or areas of testing.
- Serve as a Study Director (GLP) or Lead Analyst (cGMP) for a variety of in vitro studies including but not limited to cytotoxicity, target-engagement, USP/ISO compendial tests, potency testing, in vivo/ex vivo /in vitro bridging studies, etc. This includes serving as the primary client contact in the evaluation of new projects, experimental design, execution, data collection, and reporting.
- Ensure that all reasonable client requests pertaining to the conduct of a given test are met in a timely and ultimately effective manner.
- Consistently operate in compliance with cGMP/GLP regulations as these pertain to work performed in the in vitro laboratory.
- Advanced degree (M.S., Ph.D. or equivalent with 2+ years) in a science-related field (e.g., Biology, Chemistry, etc.). Undergraduate degree (B.S. or equivalent) with significant experience (10-15+ years) may substitute for an advanced degree.
- Experience in the development, optimization, and execution of cellular assays employing multiple techniques including tissue culture, cell growth and proliferation, cell transfection, gene expression, cytokine analysis, Elisa, ELISpot, and immunological procedures highly desired.
- Experience working with minimal supervision in a laboratory setting with a broad understanding and applied knowledge of cellular/molecular biology
- Demonstrated track record in functional assay development a plus.
- Proficient with BSL-2 and cell-culture laboratory concepts/systems and use of laboratory equipment.
- Solid grasp of advanced scientific principles and language relevant to in vitro/cellular testing.
- Well-developed math skills.
- Language aptitude sufficient to read, write and follow general laboratory SOPs and specific study protocols. Must be able to accurately describe test procedures and summarize test results.
- Advanced problem-solving/troubleshooting skills.
- Proficient and/or willing to be trained in cGMP/GLP documentation.
- Basic computer skills.
- Good listening skills required. Must be able to provide clear and concise directions.
- Must be able to work well with persons from diverse backgrounds and education and skills, and work as part of a team.
- Job requires mobile use of hands, arms, and legs. Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities.
- Must be willing to work outside normal business hours, including weekends and holidays.
- Must be willing to work with hazardous materials.
PBL Benefits Include:
- Medical insurance package including dental and vision
- Life insurance
- Flexible spending account
- 401(k) with company match
- Company observed holidays and paid time off
Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
PBL is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. PBL considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans’ status, or any other legally protected factors.