North Carolina Advanced Energy Corporation (Advanced Energy) is a nonprofit energy consulting firm headquartered on NC State University’s Centennial Campus in Raleigh, NC. We strive to ensure that energy is clean, affordable, reliable, efficient and safe for all people. We work with electric utilities; state, federal and local governments; manufacturers and a variety of public and private partners in five markets: residential, commercial and industrial, motors and drives, renewables and electric transportation.
At Advanced Energy, we know that our organization thrives only when our employees are valued and supported. You will be aided in your career goals and be put in a position to excel. You’ll work on teams that promote idea sharing and challenge you to learn and expand your expertise. You’ll also be encouraged to seek work-life balance, with flexible hybrid schedules and an array of leave options so you can spend time with family and pursue personal interests.
We are also committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our staff is the most valuable resource we have, and we appreciate that our employees come from varied backgrounds, cultures and experiences. By providing a supportive and respectful environment that promotes creativity and collaboration, Advanced Energy makes a lasting, positive difference in all of the work we do.
Benefits – Engineering co-ops receive paid holidays, cell phone stipend, as well as reimbursement for co-op fees and parking.
Provides basic engineering services in a test laboratory setting. The Motors and Drives Co-op position is entry level and requires proficient skills in areas that use engineering judgement. Work products or processes will always have oversight from engineer or field technologist.
- Provide hands on assistance in laboratory setting utilizing various hand tools and power tools.
- Support product testing and safely operate laboratory dynamometers.
- Schedule laboratory testing based on incoming shipments and coordinate outgoing shipments including proper packaging.
- Support facility reviews and studies or site assessments to locate opportunities for improvements in productivity, quality and efficiency.
- Adjust desk heights and rearrange office furniture.
- Support quality control, recommend solutions, define and interpret the importance of the implementation of corrective measures.
- Support design reviews including load calculations, energy performance analysis or design documentation.
- Provide hands on assistance in deploying new technologies in the field.
- Assist in coordinating applied research studies on a national basis, consulting with other organizations and experts.
- Acquire data from field/lab instruments and process into useful information.
- Recommend improved procedures such as workflow, testing/calibration procedures, etc.
- Develop expertise through targeted development activities and new job experiences.
- Oral communication with external clients during laboratory witness testing.
- Exercise problem solving skills and take on new learning while working with customers and other industry professionals.
- Participate on project teams.
- Adhere to project scope, timeline and budget.
- Coordinate projects or tasks, making detailed plans to accomplish goals and coordinating the integration of technical activities.
- Working toward bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical, and/or industrial engineering or relevant technical field is required.
- Fulfillment of three (3) rotations is required.
- Work experience in an industrial setting is preferred.
- Proficient level of Microsoft Office Products is preferred.
- Problem solving/data interpretation skills; strong oral communication skills; ability to work in teams as well as independently; organization skills and attention to detail; ability to adhere to project budget; commitment to excellent customer service.
Physical Demands/Work Conditions
Must be able to work in industrial environments (plants and labs) or construction sites to include climbing ladders, lifting up to 30 pounds comfortably and following safety procedures. Must be able to work in excessive hot or cold temperatures. Position could require exposure to the elements and wearing personal protective equipment.
This is an hourly non-exempt position and you will receive separate or additional remuneration for work in excess of 40 hours per week. This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive and is subject to change. It is not an implied contract of employment.
Cover letter and resume preferred.
North Carolina Advanced Energy Corporation is headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and provide fair and equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and all other protected statuses under federal, state or local laws. All employment decisions are based on job-related requirements.
All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verification or approval for a medical or religious accommodation is required after an offer is accepted and no later than 1st day of employment. Employees must pass a background check and substance abuse test.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening. You can request reasonable accommodation by sending an email to email@example.com.