Work in one of the most beautiful places in Nashville! Formerly the family home of Mabel and Leslie Cheek, Cheekwood now serves the public as a botanical garden, arboretum, and museum with period rooms and art galleries. Cheekwood’s mission is to stimulate the mind and nurture the spirit, for not only our visitors, but our staff as well.
Cheekwood’s TOTS! Internship Program is designed for the university student seeking to gain hands-on experience in a non-profit museum and botanical garden. Interns will experience all aspects of museum education including: developing and teaching classes, creating educational materials and lesson plans, overseeing studio spaces, and working with a variety of age groups. The Tots! intern is enthusiastic and enjoys working with the public. They can adapt quickly, are responsible, detail oriented, and can follow directions without supervision.
- Gain experience working with volunteers and the public
- Research age-appropriate literature and activities
- Brainstorm new activities based on topic list provided
- Create examples/demo pieces for art activities
- Track attendance at all programs
- Make assessments about material and preparation needs
- Use programs like InDesign to create step-by-step signage for each activity
- Additional tasks as assigned.
Experience in the following areas is preferred:
- Experience supervising children
- Teaching experience
- Public speaking
- Customer Service
Minimum 15 hours/week for up to 16 weeks.
Sophomore or above at the undergraduate level, or graduate student at an accredited university.
Area of Study:
Early childhood education, art education, museum education, life sciences, or studio art.
Application Requirements: Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest with desired internship and semester, a resume, and a list of 3 references, at least one academic. Start dates may vary based upon department needs and schedule. Please "Apply" below via the orange button and also remember to submit letter, resume and references to Abby Ornella at firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline for the desired semester. All interns will be required to undergo a background check.
- Membership & Discounts: As an employee, you receive a Cheekwood membership, which entitles you to unlimited admission during regular Garden hours and a limited number of free tickets to special events. Members also receive discounts classes, ticketed events, and purchases at the Gift Shop. Your Cheekwood membership also include reciprocal admission for named members to more than 300 gardens though the American Horticultural Society.
- Reciprocal Admission: As an employee of Cheekwood you have free general admission access to many local cultural, historical, and art institutions as part of the employee admission program.
Cheekwood is an equal opportunity employer