The primary responsibility of this position is to develop, implement and manage new projects and related tasks and assignments. In partnership with the Mayor’s Workforce Development Board (MWDB), Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation launches major initiative programs such as Learn to Earn and Skills for Life, that provides adult residents with unique paid training (and paid employment) opportunities, career coaching and other supports while they pursue their GED or high school diploma or occupational training. The Project Manager will be responsible for managing the expansion of the program to fulfill the People Plan goals. The Project Manager will also assist in the development, implementation, and management of other special workforce development projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Plan, coordinate, and administer activities of assigned project to include developing and implementing related procedures, processes, services, and systems.
- Serve as DESC/Detroit at Work’s primary point of contact for partner organization and staff with Career Centers.
- Develop, identify, and enhance career exploration and planning elements of specialized programs.
- Provide assistance to Career Centers or Career Service Provider to identify and enroll eligible participants into specialized programs
- Monitor and evaluate the program’s effectiveness, investigate trends, recommend, and implement modifications to improve program effectiveness.
- Coordinate and/or participate in public relations activities to include preparing and supervising the production of brochures, bulletins, newsletters, and other promotional materials and/or publications, preparing press releases, designing ads and fliers, and responding to inquiries, develops plan and schedules for release of publicity materials.
- Develop, plan, coordinate and implement activities including, but not limited to, seminars, conferences, workshops, public events, and other related programs; develop and coordinate new ideas and concepts for the project’s participants, materials, and resources to supplement, expand, or replace existing project’s components.
- Organize and manage project specific tasks and activities.
- Exhibit professionalism, diplomacy, and ability to appropriately interact with Board members, staff, participants, and local stakeholders while maintaining working relationships in all aspects.
- Compose and prepare correspondence involving interpretation of policies, procedures, contract, and agreements. Prepare material that requires independent judgment and the ability to create, rearrange, expand, segregate or tabulate, and prepare complex forms.
- Prepare program budgets; Monitor, verify, and reconcile expenditure of budgeted funds as appropriate.
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative data. Prepare reports setting forth progress and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Perform other related duties as required.
The above functions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the person assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties of the position.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Business, Education, Public Administration, Social Work, or another field related to program development, adult education, or service delivery. Master’s degree preferred.
- Five (5) years of relevant professional experience.
- Equivalent combination of professional work experience, training and education may be substituted for formal education requirements.
SKILLS AND SPECIFICATIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Local area travel will be required. The following is a list of required and desired qualifications:
- Demonstrates sufficient understanding of effective adult education and career exploration & planning activities. Demonstrates
- sufficient understanding of workforce development services and programs.
- Previous experience with human-centered design and design thinking is highly desirable.
- Highly organized and can manage multiple projects concurrently. Demonstrates project management skills to produce quality, timely, and complete work product.
- Possess the ability to exhibit professionalism and work under pressure with the ability to reprioritize to meet deadlines.
- Discrete and professional, particularly when handling confidential information.
- Seeks growing responsibility and shows great capacity for work.
- Exhibits outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and can prepare timely, accurate and complete reports and presentations.
- Able to always maintain strict ethical legal adherence and confidentiality.
Valid State of Michigan Driver’s License – Position requires field work.
Background check and drug screen required.
The Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within our organization. DESC actively seeks applications from women, persons of color, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups.