Role Overview: The Director of Business Development role develops, coordinates, and leads strategic business development activities to grow and diversify revenue. This position serves on the Management Team and is responsible to working with each business unit to identify and assess opportunities for revenue growth and assist with implementation of revenue-related growth tactics. This position is tasked with developing and implementing a revenue growth strategy to expand and position the firm as a leader providing science and engineering consulting services.
Responsibilities: (The following is a list of responsibilities of this position, but is not intended to cover all duties that this position may be required to perform from time to time.)
- Develop and recommend an annual sales plan and revenue forecast for the company.
- Collect, compile, and interpret pertinent data to establish realistic sales goals consistent with overall goals of company growth and profitability.
- Analyze SynTerra’s business position, competitors, and economic dynamics to guide strategy development and forecasting investments in sales activities.
- Track business unit metrics monthly (win/loss rate, revenue data, comparison to sales goals, etc.) to evaluate progress of meeting revenue goals and provide regular data updates to the management team.
- Implement business development policies, procedures and processes as deemed appropriate by management team.
- Develop strategic business and training plans to assist business development staff with being successful in reaching goals.
- Demonstrate to clients the expertise and quality outcomes of the company’s consulting services.
- Establish, maintain and continually develop and foster successful and profitable business relationships with current and potential clients.
- Build strong working relationships with industry partners, internal staff, and other key players and end-users within the markets the company serves.
- Create awareness and promote focus on the company to drive revenue.
- Drive collaboration with the team of business development staff and internal customers (Project Managers, Group Leaders, etc.).
- Build profitability of key accounts while maintaining successful and profitable business relationships.
- Oversee business development budget to guide financial stewardship in business development.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of legislative priorities standards and regulations relating to science and engineering functions.
- Support national and regional standards groups that are driving regulations in the marketplace; the goal will be to develop these relationships and secure SynTerra’s position as a knowledge leader regarding these standards.
- Assess sales levels and trends through market research and initiates (pro-active or corrective actions) as required to assure attainment of objectives.
- Actively participate in the selection process of all new business development staff.
- Effectively communicate with internal and external clients.
- Provide accurate, detailed and high-quality work products.
- Comply with all current policies and procedures of SynTerra.
- Comply with all Health and Safety training to maintain a safe working environment.
- Full-Time employees: Available to work 40 hours per week, plus additional hours as needed to meet project deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned by the Company President or his/her designee.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Knowledge of related fields (engineering, geology, sciences, or environmental consulting) preferred.
- 7-10 years of experience in related field.
- 3-5 years of experience in a role requiring business development leadership skills.
- Software proficiency (including but not limited to): ERP systems, CRM systems, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- 40 hr. OSHA HAZWOPER trained a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication skills for all levels of technical understanding.
- Must maintain valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
- Ability to travel throughout the Southeast and beyond as needed.
Physical Demands/Working Environment:
- The Director of Business Development must be able to concentrate for extended periods of time paying close attention to detail.
- The Director of Business Development’s work environment involves work primarily indoors with occasional need to work in an outdoor setting. Work environments range from climate controlled office space to areas where dust, noise, and outdoor weather conditions may be present.
- May sit or stand for several hours at a time and climb inclines (terrains, ladders, etc.).
- The Director of Business Development must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to view computer screens and prepared documentation.
- Travel throughout client service area is required as needed.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas for this position.
SynTerra is an equal opportunity employer.
Hiring, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination and all other employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, creed, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, medical needs arising from pregnancy or childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth, including, but not limited to, lactation, or any other characteristics protected by law, unless a bona fide occupational qualification applies.