The Director of Finance - MEMI will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting, and reporting activities for Music and Event Management Inc. (MEMI) and partner organizations in coordination with The Director of Finance - CSO. The Director will be involved in supporting presentations to the Board, Finance, Audit and Investment Committees and will work closely with the senior leadership team.
The Director will supervise a team of staff members and will lead all day-to-day finance operations, including functional responsibility over accounting, general ledger reconciliation, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grants administration. The Director will ensure that MEMI has the systems and procedures in place to support clean audits.
The Director will work closely with departmental leaders and their staffs, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures, but also to explore how the Finance function can support program operations. In addition, they will partner with the CFO, senior leadership, Human Resources (HR) and Information Technology (IT) staff to enhance and better integrate Finance, HR, and IT functions.
Finance and Accounting Leadership
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Oversee all financial activity, reconciling and reporting for MEMI and partner organizations.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Maintain and further enhance the system of capturing contribution margin by product line. Provide analysis of the contribution margin and present to senior management.
- Coordinate all audit and tax reporting activity.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Assist MEMI’s leadership and partner organizations in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Support the CFO in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Oversee all financial, project/program, and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with MEMI leadership; continuously collaborate with MEMI leadership to assess the financial efficacy of operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support operations.
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
- Conduct periodic vendor reviews, assessing vendor costs and benefits versus alternatives, and facilitating institution-wide volume purchases as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned.
- Leverage strengths of the current Finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization
- Create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Support organization’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives as well as supporting a respectful organizational culture
- 5 to 10 years of progressive accounting and/or audit experience
- Experience developing and leading a team
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development, and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
- Experience in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate, and foundation grants is essential
- Keen analytic, organization, and problem solving skills, which allows for strategic data interpretation vs. simple reporting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to staff, senior management, board, or other outside partners
Reporting Relationship: The Director reports to the Vice President & Chief Financial Officer.