Location: Flexible; remote telecommute
Division: Scaling Safety
Reports to: ASJ President
Start Date: ASAP – position open until filled
Position type: Full-time, exempt
Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ) is a national advocacy organization that aims to replace ineffective criminal justice system policies with what works to keep people safe. We represent diverse crime survivors as well as people living with old records as key public safety stakeholders. ASJ brings our members together with state leaders and coalition partners to win reforms that stop cycles of crime, reduce costly incarceration, and make communities safer. We support a range of “shared safety” reforms, including crime prevention, community health, rehabilitation, economic mobility, and trauma recovery. For more information, visit https://allianceforsafetyandjustice.org.
ASJ is seeking a Data and Analytics Specialist to lead the data collection and visualization aspects of a new project that ASJ is incubating, called Scaling Safety. Scaling Safety is a new, place-based effort to expand community-based prevention and public safety programs in a handful of cities across the country. The types of programs we aim to expand include victim services, violence intervention programs, reentry supports, and alternative mobile crisis responses to people with mental health needs. ASJ will implement the Scaling Safety in a handful of U.S. cities with varying data infrastructure and expertise levels. The Data and Analytics Specialist will curate, analyze, and effectively present data to help guide local decision-makers in prioritizing local prevention investments.
A successful Data and Analytics Specialist will have strong problem-solving skills, be able to work with (sometimes antiquated) backend databases maintained by state and local government agencies, creatively curate data from disparate sources, and integrate multiple data sources in accessible dashboards or similar tools. Familiarity with location data and mapping is necessary to help guide decisions about where safety solutions are needed most urgently. Communicating effectively to community members and policymakers about data – and its limitations – is also crucial for success. This position will work closely with ASJ’s President and the Scaling Safety Program and Research Manager.
- During the planning phase of project development, analyze publicly available information for specific jurisdictions and create accessible, holistic information about what these jurisdictions are experiencing regarding crime, violence, and various indicators of community crisis.
- Prepare and present thorough and accessible information from various data sources to ensure the project is developed with the most accurate picture possible of what is happening.
- Develop and analyze public safety data landscapes of selected project cities.
- Ensure data quality throughout all stages of acquisition and processing, including such areas as data sourcing/collection, normalization, transformation, cross-lingual alignment/mapping, etc.
- Using tools such as Tableau, Looker, and GoogleData Studio to aggregate data and build dashboards that feature metrics relevant to public safety.
- Create data dashboards and other data visualization tools to track the progress of Scaling Safety initiatives.
- Collaborate with the evaluation team and local stakeholders to identify and collect project success metrics.
- Support translating findings for a variety of different audiences.
- Request and negotiate data use agreements with government agencies.
- Provide instruction, direction, and technical assistance to project cities as required for data analysis and reporting development.
- Liaise with other organizations and government IT staff to understand and troubleshoot data integration challenges.
Experience & Qualifications
- 2+ years of experience in a data analytics or data science role.
- Experience with cleansing and manipulating large datasets and conducting deep statistical analysis.
- Highly experienced with SQL and Python (or R).
- Working knowledge of data visualization tools such as Tableau, Google Data Studio, Looker, or Amazon QuickSight.
- Experience with map visualization.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills both to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to prioritize and meet timelines in a fast-paced environment.
- Great attention to detail.
- Familiarity with public health approaches to problems.
- Experience working with government agencies and community-based organizations in a data analytics role.
- Experience working in diverse setting and with people with direct experience with crime, violence, and justice system involvement.
- Working Conditions & Physical Demands
- Some travel will be required.
- Requires use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal
- Requires routine physical movements with limited physical exertion
- Ability to communicate, receive and understand information through oral and written communication and proofread and check documents for accuracy
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Alliance for Safety and Justice offers a competitive benefits package, including health/vision/dental insurance, retirement 403b match benefit, and paid sick, holiday, and vacation leave.
Applications should be submitted via the posting link on ASJ’s jobs page. Please submit a cover letter indicating your interest in ASJ, the role, and your related experience, your resume, and 3-4 professional references.
The Alliance for Safety and Justice is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application. Employment with Alliance for Safety and Justice is at-will. This means that employees are not guaranteed employment for a set time and that they or ASJ may end employment at any time, with or without notice, and with or without cause. No manager, supervisor, or employee of Alliance for Safety and Justice has the authority to enter into any agreement modifying the at-will nature of employment.