Indiana Farmers Insurance is currently looking for a Commercial Lines Assistant Underwriter to join our Underwriting Team. The ideal candidate will reside in Indiana, as this is a hybrid position.
As an Assistant Underwriter in commercial lines , you will assist our underwriters and agency partners in the creation and delivery of customized insurance products for our customers. Our underwriting team uses facts and information to apply rates and determine premiums, specific limits, deductibles, conditions and endorsements, for accounts approved for coverage. Through collaboration with underwriters and agents, the right candidate will help analyze risk and help drive informed decision making in support of our vision.
Benefits for the Assistant Underwriter:
- Free Health insurance
- Free Dental insurance
- Free Vision insurance
- Free Life insurance
- Free Short-Term & Long-Term Disability insurance
- 2% 401k Company Match
- 11% 401k Company Contribution
- Excellent Paid Time Off
- Day of Service
- Charity Match Program
- We promote from within our diverse workforce regularly and offer regular opportunities to learn and grow
- Flexible Work Arrangements that include work locations in the office, hybrid schedules and fully remote. The type of arrangement available is determined by the position and business needs
- Matching funds of up to $100 annually are available from the company for your favorite charitable organization
- Associate recognition awards, fun gatherings, and opportunities to make friends are part of our culture
- An on-site fitness center, as well as free and convenient parking right next to our building make life easier
Qualifications for the Assistant Underwriter:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to interpret underwriting guidelines is required
- Basic understanding of underwriting concepts and insurance
- Six months of previous commercial lines underwriting experience, preference
- Strong sales acumen with the ability to sell our products and pricing in the face of competition
- Effective communication skills (both listening and speaking)
- Positive interpersonal skills for collaboration with colleagues, agents, insureds, and other outside contacts
- Excellent time management, organization, and efficiency
- Solid problem solving and decision-making abilities
Responsibilities in this job include but are not limited to:
- Gathering, collecting and compiling any additional information necessary to assist in determining if insurance will be approved
- Determining whether new business, changes, renewals and canceled policies qualify for coverage, renewal or reinstatement within guidelines; discussing and consulting with more experienced underwriters on anomalies beyond defined exceptions, to develop underwriting skills
- Processing quotes, new applications, changes, endorsements, premium audits and renewals meeting underwriting guidelines; performing data entry and word processing
- Communicating with agents by phone and in writing regarding status of application, as well as rating and premium related questions; following up as needed
- Performing various support tasks including monitoring of unapplied payments, managing inbound communications, tracking work in process, generating reports and coordinating inspections.
- Performing other functions assigned to position to insure effective and smooth continuity of operations and transactions in the best Company interest
Why work for Indiana Farmers Insurance? Imagine working for an employer like this:
- 95% retention of its associates over the last 5 years
- Financially stable as shown by our A (Excellent) rating by AM Best
- Truly customer focused
- A strong legacy of excellent performance throughout our 145 years in business!
For more information about Indiana Farmers, please go to https://insurance.indianafarmers.com/about-us.
Indiana Farmers Insurance is an equal opportunity employer!