This position is responsible for the promotion and advancement of NFSA’s legislative and regulatory priorities. Collaborates with systems and staff across the country to maintain awareness and engage legislation and regulations at the Federal, State, and Local levels. Facilitates progress in model code adoption by engaging both technical expertise and legislative/regulatory efforts. Assists in forming and maintaining relationships with government offices and officials, lobbyists, coalitions, collaborators, and partners.
This position is intended to be filled at NFSA Headquarters in Linthicum Heights, MD. Remote options could be considered.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Plan, organize, and coordinate NFSAs legislative and regulatory strategies and activities to advance corresponding goals and objectives.
- Monitor and analyze legislative bills and proposals to ensure that the interests and needs of NFSA members are appropriately and equitably represented.
- Collaborate with other staff in tracking governmental policy development and implementation.
- Manage and coordinate efforts of contracted registered lobbyists
- Draft and prepare documents and correspondence related to government relations for the President of NFSA.
- Facilitate and maintain overall public policy strategy and priorities, as well as state and local detailed plans
Communicate with members, chapters, partners, and advocates regarding legislative or regulatory processes to promote and advocate the fire sprinkler industry
- Collaborate in the writing, publishing, and disseminating of articles, announcements, briefs, and blogs for timely distribution to membership and other target groups as directed.
- Maintain website content and advocacy systems
Represent NFSA at meetings or conferences and make presentations to groups as needed.
Develop staff in government relations roles and functions to amplify mission success.
Assist leadership with other assignments or projects that may be assigned.
The focus of this job is on achieving results which are aligned with the larger picture of the organization and its strategic goals. Initiative, coupled with a sense of drive, and the ability to stay focused on results despite changing conditions, is the key to achieving the performance objectives of this job. Because environmental and organizational conditions change rapidly, the work involves innovation and creativity in generating ideas for quick response. Decision-making is focused on implementing practical, timely solutions. The job requires getting things done quickly and handling a variety of activities. Self-assurance, and the confidence to purposely drive toward results while constantly problem-solving and engaging the commitment of others is essential. A leadership style that is firm and goal oriented, and yet motivates, trains, and engages others in an enthusiastic way is important. The emphasis on building rapport and relationships with individuals and groups requires an outgoing, poised, and persuasive communication style. Because the pace of the work is faster than average, the ability to learn quickly and thoroughly while continually recognizing and adapting to changing conditions is critical. The scope of the job may require effective delegation to proven people. Especially routine and repetitive details should be delegated but with responsibility for follow up and accountability for timely results. While the job requires the ability to act independently, a sense of urgency and the confidence to handle a variety of challenges, a full commitment to the success of the business and high standards of achievement are expected in this position. The emphasis is on results, and effective systems that achieve results through and with people, rather than on the details of implementation. The job environment is flexible, constantly changing and provides growth opportunity, recognition, and reward for the achievement of business results.
· Bachelor’s degree in public administration, political science, and/or communications.
· 10+ years’ experience in government relations and policy analysis.
· Experience working on fire protection, fire services, and/or construction industry issues is strongly preferred.
· Expertise in construction codes and standards, code adoption and implementation processes.
· Experience with member associations and association management.
· Experience in managing lobbyists' work effort and contracting is desirable.
· Demonstrated history of delivering on goals, meeting deadlines.
· Ability to use productively the knowledge, experience, and efforts of others.
· Strong skills in Microsoft 365, Microsoft Dynamics, and proven ability to master other computer software.
· Ability to travel extensively, if necessary.