The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicagoans with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, Chicago Sun-Times Media, Inc. (CSTM) is now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism that is deeply connected to Chicago communities.
We are looking for someone with product sales experience with a proven track record of building customer relationships and optimizing sales goals to join our advertising sales team.
- Build and manage strategic relationships with customer contacts
- Become a subject matter expert on the publications/digital properties you represent and the audiences they serve
- Prospect for new accounts/advertisers using phone, email, MediaRadar, and other promotional devices
- Track all sales activities in the company CRM system and keep current by updating account information regularly
- Set up and conduct appointments with customers and prospects via phone, online, and/or in-person sales calls
- Convince both current and prospective advertisers that their advertising dollars are best spent in the publications/digital properties you represent by using appropriate information from public and/or subscription research services (i.e. Scarborough)
- Qualify prospective advertisers as to their future fit with Sun-Times properties, advertising spending levels, and their interest in your media
- Create opportunities through networking, and represent the Sun-Times in the advertising marketplace/community
- Complete all RFPs (Requests For Proposals) and reports promptly.
- Provide an annual estimate of the revenue that can be produced by your efforts and update your forecast periodically as requested by your manager.
- Follow all established business policies and practices
- 2 - 5 years of experience as a sales professional
- Proven track record of meeting and exceeding sales goals
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Understanding of sales performance metrics
- Proficient in CRM software and Microsoft Office suite
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to demonstrate tact and diplomacy in difficult situations
- Meet monthly and annual revenue goals
- Establish good personal relationships with your advertisers and prospects
- Follow established company business practices
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture
- A flexible hybrid work schedule
- Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand!
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice. This role does not offer sponsorship employment benefits.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis which would violate any applicable federal, state, or local law.