HIRING BONUS: All new employees will receive a $3,000 hiring bonus!
The Northside Achievement Zone (NAZ) is a bold and innovative collaborative effort to close the achievement gap in a geographic “Zone” of North Minneapolis. The purpose of our work is to end multigenerational poverty in our community, using education as a lever. We use a data-driven, evidence-based, achievement-focused model in which both children and their families move through a “cradle-to-career” ecosystem that provides comprehensive support. NAZ is a leading initiative in the national Promise Neighborhoods and cradle to college/career movement. As NAZ learns what works with families in North Minneapolis to address complex issues related to urban poverty, strategies are being set up for replication and informing the regional, state, and national field.
The Vice President of Finance will provide overall and strategic direction for all financial management, accounting, and budgeting functions . This position will report to the President & CEO of NAZ and will be a part of her/his Senior Management Team, which consists of the Chief Operating Office, Chief Development Office and The Vice President of Heart (Human) Resources to ensure all financial systems are in alignment with the programmatic functions of and Strategic focus of the organization. The Vice President of Finance will supervise key department positions.
- Financial Leadership: Build and oversee all financial operations for the organization, including strategic planning, accounting (includes contracts, grants, and real estate holdings), forecasting, analysis, and reporting on the status of financial health to internal and external stakeholders. Serve as the staff representative to the Finance Committee of the Board.
- Sustainability Planning: Participate on the leadership team responsible for building a resource pool to ensure sustainability. Lead in the development of tools and strategies within the organization to facilitate sustainability.
- Organizational Leadership: Participate as a member of the Senior Management Team in Strategic organizational planning and in support of the strategic goals of NAZ set forth by its Board of Directors.
- Budget Management: Oversee the budget development process on an annual basis. Monitor performance against budget. Prepare budgets for grants and contracts, and other required financial processes.
- Compliance Leadership: Promote an ethical culture of decision-making. Ensure compliance with all legal, grant and contract requirements. Oversee annual audit process.
- Staff Leadership: Develop and supervise the Finance Department staff that are focused on supporting the operations of the organization and achieving results for students. Responsible for hiring, promotion, professional development and performance management in partnership with Human Resources.
- Management of Agreements: Oversee federal and local grants and assures organizational compliance. Oversee, update, and assure compliance with organizational contracts with program partners, independent consultants and other service providers.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned by the President and CEO.
- Accountant Manager
- Operations and Accounting Associate
Senior Management Team (Staff reporting directly to the CEO), Finance Committee of the Board, Organizational Leadership Team (Directors positions and above across the organization), programmatic and administrative staff.
Individual Donors, institutional funders, government agencies, vendors, Campaign cabinet members, and program partners including the NAZ Executive Leadership Team (comprised of CEOs and Executive Directors of partner organizations with which we have a financial relationship).
The ideal candidate must have experience in non-profit finance with strong strategic and implementation skills. A strong passion for NAZ’s mission and FACTS to “build a culture of achievement in a geographic Zone in North Minneapolis to ensure that all youth graduate from high school college-ready,” is a must. Other qualifications and skills required or preferred for this position, include:
- BA degree in finance, accounting or a related field, required. Master’s degree in Business Administration of Public Administration, or a closely related field, required.
- CPA or CMA preferred.
- 10 or more years of progressively responsible leadership experience in financial management, including extensive experience in nonprofit financial strategy building and management, with demonstrated success in fiscal management, budget development, financial policy development, forecasting, grants management and government contracting.
- Experience building process and policy to support financial compliance and sustainability.
- Experience leading and developing financial and administration systems.
- Experience in accounting and real estate holdings financials
- Experience using general ledger software, systems and databases.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced growth-minded organization.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work is normally performed in an office work environment, but may occasionally include lifting and bending.
- Regular operation of normal office machines (computer, copier, and fax), is required.
- Occasional evening and weekends work, required.
- Limited travel may be required.